Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Corrosion on chassis rails :(

Border20

Country Flag
uk
Hi all,

Had a really nasty surprise under all the muck and dirt just this week which has obviously been going on for a while undetected... anyone come across anything similar or have any advice on next move?

Local garage was talking about a body off, major welding etc. just in time for Christmas!

Attachments

• D21E9397-B1AC-4A4F-8F74-C253FAC882DB.jpeg
    D21E9397-B1AC-4A4F-8F74-C253FAC882DB.jpeg
    403.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 024FA45F-28F3-4420-B38E-A8C92B32B379.jpeg
    024FA45F-28F3-4420-B38E-A8C92B32B379.jpeg
    386.6 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
ouch ! unfortunately this is all too common on Landcruisers but 100 series & 120 s seem particulary prone .Beyond my experience this but body off = $$$$$ so age , mileage & what you're prepared to invest are all considerations .

Welding is welding there is no major or minor just how long it takes and they plan to take a long long time .

I noticed by chance a mobile welder near me on gumtree who offers to remedy mot failures outside your house so worth a look maybe .

And you wonder why I viewed 10 before I pulled the trigger on one. Collies seem to suffer just as bad.

When I went to view I went straight to the weak points first, don't waste time

Thanks for the replies so far chaps - is there such a thing as a chassis section that can be purchased and "dropped in" (Old LR Defender style) with these 120's or would it literally be a fabrication from scratch job? Id like to fix it, as its in good order otherwise believe it or not!

If the body's coming off, and if your body is a good one, whilst its being assessed i'd be inclined to try and find a write off where the body has been wrecked by rollover or fire and consider making one good motor out of the two.
You could get a new chassis but the labour involved would make it unviable unless you can DIY, i know they are available and doable, a bodyshop i visited a few years ago was fitting a new chassis to a 4Runner that had bent chassis after a crash.

I think the welders will end up near enough constructing a whole new chassis anyway once they start work, and the rest of it will be a ticking rust bomb anyway.

Has the motor lived in Scotlandor the far north all its life?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not a bad idea, must start scouring the for sales.

I was considering if it were possible to buy a pre-fab chassis section, cut out the roten bit at a suitable point and weld replacement in place - Ive seen this done before for Series LR etc, but expect getting one for a LC may be considerably harder. Vehicle is from S Wales, the rest of the chassis is pretty solid other than this one horrendous spot, maybe it got plugged with wet horrible mud or something!

IIRC Josh's dad had the body off his Collie and fabbed the rear half of the chassis, it was a better solution than repairing what was there.

The bracket is about £100 from Toyota. Probably not worth importing, but you could....

Can't see why it needs the body off to do unless the rail is rotten on top. Mine has been welded up round there and it definitely wasn't body off, or even lifted a bit, but maybe the rot extends further.

Back