Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

couple of head scratchers...

outdoordan

Supporter
Hi all,

Two problems, one recurring that I have yet to work out. Help/wisdom gratefully received.

First is:

On the morning of an exam (no pressure) about a month ago, the fuel gauge was reading brim full when I knew for a fact it was only 3/4 full. After driving 15 mins from cold the temp gauge started to read that truck was over heating.

Pulled over, popped bonnet, top hose to rad cold so popped filler cap. A bit of pressure, warm water but not hot. Long story short, the thermostat hadn't yet got to temp and hadn't opened hence cold top hose. The problem rectified itself after I drove another mile, temp dial was drifting towards red, so i pulled over. By this time the thermostat had opened and the top hose was hot so I just gave the dashboard a damn good bashing.

Both needles instantly returned to their normal positions.

It was an electrical fault, somewhere behind the dash... never done it before or since. Has anyone else experienced similar or know the exact cause?

Second is:

n/s rear drum brake binding. Both sides were completely rebuilt last year but the nearside has recently started to self adjust to the point where it applies some braking force and gets quite hot. About a week ago it was noticeable so I backed off the handbrake adjustment at the handbrake lever and the problem went away. A week later brake binding again. Backed the shoes off yesterday and adjusted the bell crank to exactly as it should be (hadn't done it properly before). Thought the problem was sorted.

Just got back from shops after using handbrake maybe ten times since adjustment yesterday and its just started to bind again. n/s is is about 4 out of ten where 1 is stone cold and ten is red hot. o/s is stone cold.

I suspect that the self adjustment thing is nipping the shoes up when it shouldn't be. I can't work out why but I have a feeling I'm missing something really obvious. Can anyone shed light?

Thanks

Last edited:
Had a similar problem with my 60 series handbrake after I rebuild them with new parts including the forks - which, I didn't know, are handed. Swapped them over and it has been perfect ever since. The binding up only ever appeared on one side.

Hope that helps

Regards,

Rodger

Back