Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Crap night at work!

Jake the Peg

Country Flag
scotland
If you ever wondered what its like looking up to an oil platform from sea level at night in the fog?
38F2C5C5-AC46-4A39-BD43-C0CC6EE93DF6.jpeg

pretty much looks like where we live for five months of the year..

bar the platform and, erm, sea bit..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Reminds me of Deep water Horizon.. Watched it the other night..Great but Tragic film,...... Sorry for the Downer, Stay safe mate...
Watchig it makes me cringe, It’s a terrible film Higgy, and I don’t think it portrays the offshore life in the correct manner. Almost unbelievable that so few were lost in such a big disaster

That's a stunning picture Jake.. kind of dystopian future Hollywood movie set - I fully expect some evil overlord to be using that as his lair...

I need to get out of the house...

have a google search for Ekofisk, I didn’t take any decent pictures of it. It’s been around 4 years since I last worked here, and the new complex is not as impressive as it used to be!
The new living quarters is I believe the biggest hotel in Norway now , and this pictures I’ve seen of it are amazing Tough life for some...hahaha!

Ekofisk, that takes me back!

My dad was a mechanical engineer working on rigs, we lived in Norway in the 70's, he worked on Statfjord A & B, and Condeep (the very tall one!), he also worked on Piper Bravo and was offshore the night Alpha went up.

He's in his 80's now but remembers every nut and bolt of every job he worked on, but calls me James (my sons name.....).

What do you do offshore?

Thats a cracking photo @Jake the Peg . It's got a real atmosphere . My dad worked on the oil rigs in his younger days. If i'm honest there's a part of me that wishes i'd gone out and worked on them rather than doing an office job, but then i'm sure its a tough life and when people talk about the old days they remember the good stuff and leave out the bad.

With a little bit of photoshop Jake it could be the Borg from Star Trek .

Ekofisk, that takes me back!

My dad was a mechanical engineer working on rigs, we lived in Norway in the 70's, he worked on Statfjord A & B, and Condeep (the very tall one!), he also worked on Piper Bravo and was offshore the night Alpha went up.

He's in his 80's now but remembers every nut and bolt of every job he worked on, but calls me James (my sons name.....).

What do you do offshore?
I’ve spent most of my offshore days working in Norway, although still employed in Aberdeen I’ve been based in Denmark for about 10yrs as cheap labour! I haven’t been to Statfjord and in fact only saw it last summer as we sailed past entourage to west of Shetland from DK. I was on a small job on the Piper field on a semi sub when I was a yoof, but that was in the 90’s. I work in the popular “fracing” industry.
That’s sad about your dad, my grandfather suffered similar before he passed

Thats a cracking photo @Jake the Peg . It's got a real atmosphere . My dad worked on the oil rigs in his younger days. If i'm honest there's a part of me that wishes i'd gone out and worked on them rather than doing an office job, but then i'm sure its a tough life and when people talk about the old days they remember the good stuff and leave out the bad.
Nick, tomorrow I will have my 26th year working offshore, I still work on my original ship although I have run a couple of others for around 5yrs during this time. It’s for sure had good times, and some bad, (crashing into a platform at almost full speed at 4am) but I work 4 weeks on/off have some toys and a decent living standard, but you can’t help feeling every night away from home is a night too many. Only 19 more sleeps!

Cool photo. I also work in oil, but onshore. And for last year in home office.
Geologists background, but mostly in IT these days helping geologists use subsurface software to find oil !

Funny, not discussed rigs, or ekofisk, for decades, then, like a bus...........me and the OH just had a week in Torremolinos, the hotel was hosting a reunion for Ecofisk Engineers! (Philips I think)

These were proper old boys from the 1970's & 80's.

I thought I recognised the name Ekofisk... found the below glass tankard in an auction a few years ago and bought it just because I liked the look of it.

20211206_191017.jpg20211206_191023.jpg

That’s the platform known as Alpha, 2/4A. I’ve worked many shifts on there in my younger days, it was for its last years in operation unmanned and we used to shuttle across from the complex whenever there was our intervention work. It was spooky as heck in the living accommodation with nobody in there and no lights on, hiding on your colleagues and jumping out on them was always a laugh:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Back