Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cruisers and their equals

Brian S

Country Flag
england
Read something on Pistonheads the other day, which had me thinking, what is the same, ie equal/or better to other marques, in all respects

"The Colorado is a slightly larger freelander, the 80 series is a heavy duty range rover classic" (courtesy PH)

So my thoughts are that the 80 is the equal off road of the Defender, but streets ahead on road, is it better (of course:icon-biggrin:) does that make it all round better?
The Collie I think (IMO ) is the equal of the Disco, I could be wrong, and won't be the first or last time
Rav 4 and Freelander

Now what about, Shoguns, Patrols, Jeeps where do they sit, and with what ?

I know a lot will be down to taste and preference, horses for courses and all that

Thoughts ?

I suppose the patrol is about the most similar to an 80. But I've no idea how good the later 3 litre diesel ones are. I can't imagine it as tough as the 4.2 plus no where near as simple

The 80 was designed and built at a time when Japan had more money than it knew what to do with and so set upon a plan the dominate global car sales . They beat Detroit's big 3 with faster more economical , more reliable and cheaper to buy runabouts , but for decades they had tried and failed to take Landrover's crown - hence the 80 was born .

Nissan , Mitsubishi and the rest follow Toyota in the 4x4 market and so are generally one step behind .

None of it matter's any more because international rules forbid anyone to build anything better than BMW because its good for the planet dontcha know :icon-rolleyes:

The 3 litre engine in the patrols last about 10min before they explode, the 2.8 was good and the 4.2 was bullet proof ......the 80 series cruiser has no equal.

A 90" Defender has a distinct wheelbase advantage over a 80 series and will show this offroad. In all other aspects Defenders are not in the same class IMO but they're not meant to be. Reliability/longevity and build quality are different issues. I guess a 40 series is more akin to a Defender/series LR. The comparison of an 80 to a "heavy duty RR Classic"is a good one and possibly the later RR P38 which is of the same era. I wouldn't put a Freelander in the same class as a Colorado, I'd call a Freelander more of a beefed up Rav 4 personally. The older Patrols seem popular down under which has to be a good recommendation. I know very little about Shoguns other than you don't see that many fully tricked up for serious offroading or over landing. JMO

wot josh said.
the 80 is the best all round 4x4 ever made in my opinion. there are plenty of other good motors out there, some which do things better than a 80 in certain areas, I'm also including Toyotas range here, but as a complete package. its the 80 for me.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would put the Mk1 Shogun as being similar to a LWB 78 in looks and build quality as well as being one they got right IMO. Older Patrols look very similar to 80s but I've heard mutterings that they aren't as good though I don't personally know.
All I do know is that I've, rather accidentally it has to be said, become the owner of a car that for nearly 14 years has attracted praise from so many people I've never known it before. Sometimes it's resigned praise from Land Rover owners. I remember Clarkson test driving the Amazon asking "is this the best 4x4 ever?" and he owned petrol 80 for a while.

Last edited:
The Pajero ( sold here as the shogun ) is very popular in parts of Africa, asia and south America. Lots and lots of them on the roads, far more than Toyota or landrovers. Kenya as an example, vehicle of choice off the beaten track, is the mitsubishi.

I loved my 2.5 TDi Mk1 Shogun, never really took it off road but was the best car I ever owned. Damn shame it got stolen. Car of choice for those that stole it (if you know who I mean) too.

It has always been my opinion, that while LR products are capable vehicles, their popularity is driven by an almost blind patriotism in Britain.

I've driven a Discovery II which was a year older than my 95. It felt good off road in terms of ability to go places, but not near as well put together as the Toyota, and I find the 95 more refined

To be fair, the Range Rover is in a class of it's own, mainly because it's a luxury car that could go off tarmac. Whereas the 200 LC was bought by the UN... so perhaps they're not really equivalent.

The Defender and the 70 series are equivalent, but not equal

It has always been my opinion, that while LR products are capable vehicles, their popularity is driven by an almost blind patriotism in Britain.

I've driven a Discovery II which was a year older than my 95. It felt good off road in terms of ability to go places, but not near as well put together as the Toyota…

The Defender and the 70 series are equivalent, but not equal

I would have said the 40 series was the Series Land Rover and Defender nearest equivalent with the many variants and modifications it has, maybe the Troopy is in there too with this. The Disco has some appalling build quality issues and a clutch that needs the legs of a Russian shot putter! (At least the one I had to move did!) but it has to be said capable off road if they stay in one piece.

I totally agree with the 'blind patriotism' statement, they can almost do no wrong, and I think it is this that has allowed LR to continue to produce very expensive good looking, vehicles (ok except the Ewok ) that fail miserably very soon out of the gate. I find it so sad. We could have beaten the world with them if only they lived up to their reputation (as excellent 4x4s, not vehicles that break).

There is something inherently wrong with the heading of this thread: "Cruisers and their equals". The internal logic is flawed, not to mention the motoring world's logic. What kind of site is this? Why isn't there a filter to stop such heresy? Admin - Admin - Can you hear me?

Last edited:
If Landrovers had been fitted with front and rear lockers, strengthened, drive-trains, reliable electrics, a degree of comfort, better build quality and bullet proof engines, they have been truly unbeatable.

I said IF......

The 90 series was developed to compete with the discovery at the time

I met a guy in November who owns 15 landcruisers
but overlands in two defenders. He said he wouldn’t take anything else. With over 40 years experience he certainly knew what he was talking about.

Jeep are increasing in popularity on this side of the pond. See a lot in Europe and North Africa. I expect a lot of this is the ability to specify your off-road/Overland modifications when you order a new one complete with warranty.

Get down into the Western Sahara and it’s a split between 100 and 120 series landcruisers or patrols for the upper classes. A 70 series or a landrover Santana for the nomads and workers. The Police and UN are 120 series cruisers or patrols

With 15 LCs of the fuy still takes his LR overlanding that just means he cares about his LCs too much, and/or he knows the LR better.

IMHO.

Toyota caught up with the road holding and comfort of the Range Rover with the 100 series. My 80 is much poorer than even my 1973 range Rover in these terms.

As no one has mentioned it....the G Class is a pretty formidable off-roader, especially in basic military spec. But as basic as a Defender with a price tag out of reality these days. I'd agree the 80 is one of the best ever built.

Back