Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cubby Box Lid Driving Me Crazy!

Hutton

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
My cubby box lid flies open at the least wee bump on the road. Is this common and is there an easy fix? Please somebody cure my misery!

What I've seen on some cruisers is that something (e.g. childrens feet) has pushed the lid forward, bending the hinges, so that the latch doesn't catch anymore.

Hello Hutton had the same problem with mine i used a larger screw with a fixed washer after removing latch it worked for a while but now using 2 one inch strips of sticky velcro until i find another latch

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If velcro is the way forwords then you have bodged it Now go and do it properly ;)

would do if i could find the parts,...and they didn,t break for a pastime. :icon-twisted:

I had this, I loosened the latch screw and move the latch as far forward asI could and re-tightened it. It's been fine since - 12 months or so.

A thin strip of Sugru does the job. Rub the plastic down with some lighter fluid before you apply it and don’t touch it for 24 hours or it will pop off after a few months. Comes in black or a light grey that’s a near-perfect match for your Toyota interior ...

5FDA98BC-B21F-45CA-ACE6-5E48B2885D9B.jpeg

Reactions: uHu
Sorry to be a pain. Do I need to buy the whole lid or is the catch available separately?
Your not being a pain,

Is it the latch in the lid broken? or the part the latch goes into? can you take a picture of the broken part?

Your not being a pain,

Is it the latch in the lid broken? or the part the latch goes into? can you take a picture of the broken part?

The part on the lid doesn't go far enough forward under the keeper on the box. Does that make sense? My explanation is bit clumsy.

The part on the lid doesn't go far enough forward under the keeper on the box. Does that make sense? My explanation is bit clumsy.
In that case you'll have to buy the whole lid, the bottom part is available separately but not the part in the lid, and the lid is expensive.

You'd be better off trying to sauce a used lid, if you don't want to cobble it or put up with the rattle.

What colour is yours, ivory or stone and do you have leather seats?

In that case you'll have to buy the whole lid, the bottom part is available separately but not the part in the lid, and the lid is expensive.

You'd be better off trying to sauce a used lid, if you don't want to cobble it or put up with the rattle.

What colour is yours, ivory or stone and do you have leather seats?

Thanks again. I have leather seats which are a creamy colour. The lid matches the seats. I'll check to see if the bottom part is worn which may be the reason the lid doesn't catch and keeps opening.

Thanks again. I have leather seats which are a creamy colour. The lid matches the seats. I'll check to see if the bottom part is worn which may be the reason the lid doesn't catch and keeps opening.
Your interior is called 'Ivory' the same as mine.

In that case the PN for the lid with the upper catch, that you can't buy separately is 5890560081A1 and very expensive.

The PN for the botton part of the latch is 5890832050 and is cheap.

Hope this helps.

Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 14.19.22.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Your interior is called 'Ivory' the same as mine.

In that case the PN for the lid with the upper catch, that you can't buy separately is 5890560081A1 and very expensive.

The PN for the botton part of the latch is 5890832050 and is cheap.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 163979

That's great info. I can try to work a solution on the bottom part knowing that if I mess up I can always replace it cheaply. Thanks again!

Back