Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Custom Landcruiser Build Help or am I just day dreaming

Welcome to the great debate!
some really good replies on here, there's no right or wrong it's down to what's going to make your trip special. A lot of the fun is the search for 'that ' vehicle and then setting about making it as you want. I've done it with bikes, a 4x4 truck and various landcrusiers, and the reason I keep changing is the focus of each trip or the idea changes of how I want to have my set up, it's all great fun!
but from your initial post how about this..
View attachment 16936
its a HJ47 from Australia, 4l 6cyl 2h engine, none turbo, you can sleep in the back, does 100kph all day long, proven, reliable, it's been around the world already, I'd set off in it tomorrow without a worry.. :icon-biggrin:
Stan

I bloody love that truck. Seen it in the flesh and absolutely love it:romance-heart:

Just trying to work out how I could afford it. I'm sure the kids could manage on one kidney each, or maybe one between them:think:

It's the ratrig of Cruisers, in my book. Original, just as it should be :thumbup:.

Thanks guys for all the replies...
Good sensible advice especially with regards to keeping vehicles as standard as possible.
I am just going to continue with the reading and research...

It is the great debate as stated above. Toyota spends millions on development and quality systems for their vehicles. Realistically all models could get you around the world.....particularly if you stick to the bitumen. But a large part of the world that I want to go to has awful roads. Some of the key considerations in my build (search hedgehog here for my 100 build) are:

My personal safety and security and that of my vehicle - I'd rather not end up dead or walking miles in a desert. Isolators, inhibitors, alarms etc - on a new or old vehicle are important additions in my book.
Being able to sleep in the truck in places where we can't sensibly put the RTT up - churches, petrol stations
Operational Range - fuel, water, food, spares, equipment etc......and the ability of your chosen steed to do that. What is the longest planned distance between fill ups, do you plan to be able to carry your own water (how many litres per person per day), number of people
Operational Context - deserts, arctic tundra, jungles, washboard, tarmac, rock crawling, high altitudes, cities, camping - all of the above. Does your selected vehicle have the capability to cope? Heating, cooling, clearance, turbo, a/c etc
Anticipated Weight requirement - this is the limitation on operational range and will affect overall reliability of the truck too, particularly near GVW.
Spares availability - is the OEM still making parts or is everything a breakers yard or pattern manufacture. Will this affect reliability? Will it be quick to get spares locally?
The cost of the Carnet in the countries you intend to visit (could push to an older vehicle for say Egypt @ 800%)
Can you fit it in a ISO shipping container - will you have to pay extra for a "high cube"
Does addition of aftermarket extras reduce the reliability - for example turbo packs on a n/a engine. Will a n/a engine haul your overland loaded vehicle without wheezing. Will it do so at 4000+ metres in the Andes/Himalayas?
Are there any known weaknesses in the vehicle design and can they be retro-fitted out? e.g. 2 pinion diff by an ARB locker
Ability to self recover
And lastly as it will be your home for months on end does it have an appropriate level of comfort for you and your passengers. For me some options were just too hair-shirt. It is supposed to be enjoyable after all.

All of these will be to some extent a compromise when it comes to the vehicle you choose - there is no one perfect vehicle. At a personal level I went with a late auto 100 and yes it is a compromise. Some would say IFS, electronics on the 100 are the constraints. Reliability is affected by so many things, and not just the base vehicle design

Just my 2c worth

Back