Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CV joint replacement

darklight

Country Flag
australia
Hi, I'm a newbie around here, looking for some guidance. My vehicle is a 1990 turbo-diesel wagon.

Background is that I wore the splines off the outer RH axle and drive flange and lost drive. So I've ordered a cv joint/inner axle sub-assembly, new drive flange and all the gaskets. Dismantled and cleaned everything OK, and reassembly went OK up to this bit: when I refit the circlip on the outer end of the cv joint, the inner axle no longer reaches the diff, so there's no drive.

The only parts changed other than gaskets are the cv joint assembly and the drive flange. The cv joint has about 1-2mm of end float with the circlip fitted, and if I remove the drive flange I can push it in so that it engages with the diff. The diff is fine, at least no broken bits in the oil and looks OK through the axle housing.

Any ideas?

Note that I forgot to measure the old shafts before throwing them out.

Cheers, Kevin

Hi and welcome, I would contact the supplier. There are different length shafts available to suit axles with or without differential locks, which your oz model may or may not have? The flanges are also different thicknesses depending on the particular CV you are using, I would remove, measure and give the supplier a call.

regards

Dave

Thanks Dave. I ended up buying one from a different place, all fitted up and going again.

The one I was originally supplied had the correct CV, but the inner axle was 35mm shorter than the one that fits. I can't find any Landcruiser with a 16.5" axle, so I've no idea what they sent me.

No problem, I have no idea how much shorter/longer the axles shafts are in the locked/non locked differentials, and even if it is the front or rear or both that is different, at least it done, nice once! I have been in the trade for years, and have always said you NEVER throw anything out until the job is finished and tested, you will remember next time. :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

Back