Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

D4d common rail - low fuel pressure

slightlyriskyneil

Country Flag
uk
Hi Guys just to let you know I resolved this problem on my 2002 Land Cruiser Colorado 3.0L Common Rail D4D engine.

The problem I had was EML + limp mode then a non starter (except with easy start) in that order - fault code P1226 Low Fuel Pressure.

1. I removed, cleaned, wiggled and said a prayer over all the sensor connections - no change.
  2. I chopped and changed the fuel supply around to eliminate any air in the system - I found the best way to see if there was any air in the system was to put clear pipe on the fuel return from the supply pump - which ran clear.
  3. I did a resistance test on the SCV valves and these - showed normal.
  4. I removed the SCV's and found metal swarf in the ports - concluded pump breaking up.
  5. I replaced the supply pump (£350 reconditioned P F Diesel - I can advise how I did this if anyone wants to know) - no change.
  6. A mechanic suggested replacing the Throttle Body which I did - no change.
  7. I cleaned out the EGR valve - no change
  8. Finally I widened my Google search and looked up general common rail low fuel pressure problems and I found a test to measure the run / leak off at each injector - low and behold no: 2 injector was practically in free flow. I ran the engine for about 90 seconds and three injectors returned about a coke cap full of diesel whereas the problem injector pissed out about a cup full !!!!!
  9. To test I had to remove the rocker cover and disconnect the run off rail. I took the injector run off fitting to a shop and matched a banjo fitting with a tail and some pipe and made these off on each injector in turn so I could see the relative run off amounts - 4 fittings and pipe = £10.
  10. P F Jones injector £244 - problem solved

MY TEST RESULTS 3 X CAP FULLS AND 1 X CUP FULL !!!!!!

001.JPG

I had useful links on here but they won't let me post them - mail me through my website at Greenfleet Marine and I'll get them to you.

I have a spare throttle body if anyone needs it ...

If any one wants more specific details please ask .... Neil

Back