Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Damaged abs ring front CV

jef

Country Flag
belgium
I had trouble with my ABS coming on when coming to a stop, there where little pieces of metal on the magnet of the ABS sensor, cleaned out the front knuckle and replaced all the grease and seals (also had diff oil leaking into the knuckle) also no real damage to be found or seen, CV joint looked ok.
Put it all back together for the technical inspection (Belgium) to register it, but immediatly had ABS problems again. This is how the cv looked after I pulled it out again:

IMG_1132.JPG
IMG_1133.JPG
IMG_1135.JPG
IMG_1138.JPG

Large chunks missing from the abs ring and damage on the outside of the cv, no foreign objects or parts found in the knuckle other than the sheared off pieces of the joint.
Can anyone explain this?

Without the presence of any bits found, not really. it certainly looks as though something has been tumbling around in there. The damage to the outer bell of the CV is significant and would not be something small and simple like some swarf. It's eaither hiding still, or got ground up into smaller bits perhaps. I doubt it would have got past the seal into the axle though. That is a real mess for sure. What's the end of the ABS sensor like?

The end of the ABS sensor looks just fine.

Could play in the bearings caused the bell to have touched the underside of the axle housing?

I doubt that very much Jef

Back