Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dash Cameras

Towpack

Garage
Country Flag
england
Has anyone fitted a dash cam and if so which make/model is it and how do you rate it? I've decided to fit one after some very close calls recently. I'd like one ideally with a rear mounted camera after a parking 'incident' :icon-redface: a few months back! All opinions appreciated.

I have had a Mi Witness HD for ages it is ok but the app sucks on IOS, I have just brought a BlackVue But it has not arrived as yet

I haven't but my son has & it's just got him OUT of a lot of serious trouble with old bill, it proved he was somewhere else at the time of an incident.
Think he has a Go Pro, good bit of kit.

I d been using nextbase 402g from2 years in 3 cars.
Had issue with one of the. Recently, when driving off I get sd card error on screen, ejecting card and putting it back in or turning on and off sorts it out

Also its internal battery seems to not hold charge anymore, it usually only had 5mins power anyway. So now if I turn off engine, the camera doesn't shut down properly and last video segment on camera corrupted, it records its footage in 5 min segments.
I need to open it up and get a new battery

Video footage is very good HD and impressed by quality of it

I too would like the dual cam one. A friend has one which records on movement outside even if engine off. Quite handy for carpark oops. Was a Halfords special

Thanks for the reviews. The choice for dash cams with F&R coverage seems limited. Nextbase seem to be a popular brand and stocked/promoted by Halfords but they don't do a rear view version. Well they do but it looks back from a 2nd lens in the windscreen mounted unit so probably won't offer the clear un restricted view of a unit with separate front and rear mounted lenses. I'd like to get one from Halfords if poss as I have some free vouchers from my credit card Co. but I'll buy elsewhere if a find a model I like more.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have been looking at the same setup for a while. There's a guy that reviews them on YouTube. I've just about come to the conclusion it's easier to mont one in the back and a separate one in the front.

In my commuting Yaris I have 2 cameras, one on front windscreen and one on rear.
Hilux just has one in front

I've also been looking at permanently installed dash cams. From browsing, it seems that a couple of the favorites are the Garmin 20 and (as mentioned) the Nextbase 312 or 412.

I have had a Mi Witness HD for ages it is ok but the app sucks on IOS, I have just brought a BlackVue But it has not arrived as yet

I like the look of the The BlackVue cameras, very compact compared to some and they do 2 camera versions. Only drawback for me is their lack of a display as I don't have a smartphone or a tablet.

I have a nextbase 402 mounted in behind the rearview mirror. haven't had to use it for any incident, but when I've looked at the footage it's very clear and good quality.
I reckon it's only a matter of time until cameras come as standard on cars. Amazed that manufactures haven't introduced the 'black box' concept from aircraft. the ECUs have all the data, so surely it could be all recorded in the event of a crash

keen to get something like this as well, maybe one for front and one for back - something that tracks gps info and has the g-shock sensor, and ideally can run off the AUX battery, with motion detection built in.

advantage of single unit able to do F&R is that overall power consumption is likely to be lower than 2 units.

regards,

I tried a cheap one (£15) off eBay - though the design looks exactly like the £50+ ones from other more well known makes.

It's fine during the day and the video quality is perfectly acceptable, however when it is dark the picture is not so good and hard to read number plates etc. I have it mounted behind my rear view mirror and it's very unobtrusive.

If I was choosing one for a bigger budget, I would probably go with a Blackvue model, as they always seem to get good reviews. Lots coming on to the market all the time, so I'm sure they will get better and (hopefully) cheaper......

Both my truck and van have the Transcend units. Very reliable, good clear video, even at night (but not as good as daytime). Easy to download onto phone it tablet after an incident. Have mine set to 1 min video.

My new Blackvue came today, I will be fitting it Wednesday and will report back

I am late to comment on this, but I will any way, I have been using one of these for a while now, great on short trips but can be prone to stopping recording before card is full on longer trips, what I like about them is that they are small and discrete and have gps so location is recorded.
I disable the the speed feature though.
Mounted in front of rear view mirror so not seen from inside when driving and thus is not noticeable from out side unless you look for it.

Any thoughts on just using the mobile phone ? Has camera, sdcard should be possible, a few apps seem to exist. Has GPS and can like do navigation at the same time...

Back