Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dash Cameras

Problem with using phone, you then need to remember to set it up each time,
With dash. Cam it's fully automated, wired up and goes As soon as you fire up engine

Not sure how useful the viewing angle would be using a phone either.

Has anyone fitted a dash cam and if so which make/model is it and how do you rate it? I've decided to fit one after some very close calls recently. I'd like one ideally with a rear mounted camera after a parking 'incident' :icon-redface: a few months back! All opinions appreciated.

Hi, I fitted cameras in our two DAF lorries after two attempts of scams, ( commercial vehicles were targets for the scum) know how you feel, I fitted Roadhawk cameras, my reason for choice was that when you view the recordings it shows the driver ( you) whether you were watching the road etc, the road ahead ( obviously) gives a gps diagram of the exact point of collision and time, it automatically keeps the recording of a prang until you wipe it clean on a PC. It has a sensor to automatically stop and keep the images, then continue to record. I don't know if rear view is available. I had them hard wired into the ignition.They were about £300 a piece and I've had them a couple of years now, not really found it necessary for my bruiser but after what I've now read I should really consider one. Hope you find this of use, best regards, Bill Westley

Problem with using your phone that they stop recording if it rings, well a iPhone does
Most I have seen loops so the card never gets full on mine you have to save the incident you want or it will get recorded over.

Any experience with NextBase DVR 202?
I get it for 60-70 £ - but is 720p resolution good enough?
Other main specs: F2, 120 degrees, auto loop, G-sensor with auto store, detachable as stills camera.

It seems that NB 412 and 512 are better resolution, but the price is double...

I'm tempted to get the 512, but the other downside with Nextbase is the size of the units, I'd prefer a more discrete camera and leave it permanently fixed.

I'm still looking, in other words.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes, size matters. What's the need of a screen on a dash cam? Isn't it supposed to just record in silence - looping 100 hrs should be fine?

Yes, size matters. What's the need of a screen on a dash cam? Isn't it supposed to just record in silence - looping 100 hrs should be fine?

I'm looking for one with high quality recording, but it's hard to know what that is these days.

HD no longer means anything, full HD might then I've seen full HD-HD WTF.

1080p has also lost any meaning, now it's crappy 30 fps vs 60 fps, and some other pixel dimensions (I'm guessing now).

Maybe I can google video quality and find all these nonsense terms strung out in order, unless anyone can tell me what the best is (not the cheapest).

That winds me up too, whenever you search for anything, the only thing sellers find important is the price, that theirs is the cheapest, they don't give a shoot what they sell to you.

I don't want cheap, I want good. If the good is cheap then all well and good, but IME cheap is usually binable on the day you buy it, and not cheap when you decide you have to upgrade making the original purchase money down the pan.

Oops, sorry, this has turned into a rant... (I've been searching for a good usable dash cam for some time to no effect).

Rant over :oops:

I'm looking for one with high quality recording, but it's hard to know what that is these days.

1080p has also lost any meaning, now it's crappy 30 fps vs 60 fps, and some other pixel dimensions (I'm guessing now).

Maybe I can google video quality and find all these nonsense terms strung out in order, unless anyone can tell me what the best is (not the cheapest).

That winds me up too, whenever you search for anything, the only thing sellers find important is the price, that theirs is the cheapest, they don't give a shoot what they sell to you.

I don't want cheap, I want good. If the good is cheap then all well and good, but IME cheap is usually binable on the day you buy it, and not cheap when you decide you have to upgrade making the original purchase money down the pan.

Oops, sorry, this has turned into a rant... (I've been searching for a good usable dash cam for some time to no effect).

Look here: http://www.techmoan.com/what-is-the-best-dashcam

I've asked for the DDPai M6+ from Father Christmas.

Have been using full hd dash cams purchased from eBay. Running two, one front and one rear. Was going to upgrade if need be but they do everything they need to such as turn on with car, record, rotate recordings etc. $20 AUD each!

I could have written that Clive! Spooky.

Are these any use for leasure use? Interesting tracks, acts of heroic driving etc. Or look at a go pro or similar.

For laning etc I reckon you're better off with an action camera like a GoPro etc. I bought a Hitachi HD action camera for £50 from Argos and I'm very pleased with it. Very similar to a GoPro but no wireless or remote connectivity. Comes in a water proof case, again very similar to a GoPro, with brackets and a body harness/mount which I use when laning on the bike. Does 1080p 2 30fps or 780 @ 60fps which is the setting I use as anything other than fast walking pace looks jerky at 30fps. There's quite a few action cams to choose from these days. GoPros are probably the most widely known with extra bells and whistles but way overpriced IMO.

I've got a Sony mini video thingy, which has no screen but has a wifi link to your smart phone or pad, which I like and find very practical to use.

It has a "waterproof" case which is handy when you mount it externally. It came with self adhesive mount pads and several different mounting attachments, but it was a gift so I don't know if they were bought separately or included in a kit.

This is it "sticky" mounted on my dash...

IMG_4702.JPG

.... with a fag packet to give an idea of size.

IMG_4703.JPG

It's only drawback for me is that being remote, it's 100% reliant on its battery. It's a mini video battery, LiIon or whatever, but it's starting to fade after 4 or so years.

I've installed a waterproof USB power supply behind the grille and I plug the charge lead into that, but it means I can't use the sealed waterproof carrier. (Not shown in the above photos).

I use a 64 GB micro card and the video quality is good and it has a very nice wide angle. You'll get specific data on the current models from the interweb.

Recommended, but I've never used a GoPro or others...

Nextbase 512g fitted recently and all reviews suggest it's about the best all-rounder, or one of at least.
Dash cams can turn you into a bit of a self-righteous cock until you realise that they can convict you as well as support you!
A worthwhile investment.

I have been looking into these as well but they are not at the top of my list yet. One thing I did think about is if there is a prang, then the video will also disclose the speed you were travelling at when the accident occurred.

Not that should bother me as I never break the speed limit. :whistle:

regards

Dave

Back