Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dear Santa, Could I have an hintercooler please?

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
I have been such a very good boy, honest :whistle:

Anyway - yep I WANT an intercooler. No, I don't need one. No I don't give a toss about the extra insurance, no I am not doing it to get better MPG, yes I realise that I will have to adjust the fuwel. Right, has that covered all the daft points?

So. I have finally had a reply from Alisport and they want £792 (yes that's what I thought) for supply and an extra £-oner to fit it. It's a tidy thing though.

So what are other options please? I can buy lots of bits off e-bay and make a lash up as I go along and spend hours fashioning brackets to hold bits here and there. And then find that it adds very little to the performance which is why Alisport charge £792 for a kit that they have spent years perfecting. We had a good chat about the old 4.2 lump and he said everything that I was thinking. Basically that it is lovely and smooth, that it is almost unbreakable but that it's a truck engine which is about as exciting as Christmas Day telly when you drive it. OK you can twiddle and it does give you more I know, but when you think Mmm 4.2, the reality isn't quite up to the dream is it. But that is not the argument.

Come on team, whaddya reckon. I am having one, so that's that argument put to bed :lol: :lol:

Any thoughts experiences alternative suppliers, home fit designs made from an old mower and a BBQ? Or is £792 really very reasonable for a dedicated kit?

Please spare me the reality checks. It's bloody Christmas. And I deserve a nice big prezzie :text-merryxmas:

Chris

Chris said:
I have been such a very good boy, honest :whistle: Chris
Are you sure you're not tellng porkies Chris :think:. Alisport :thumbup: neat bit of kit :thumbup: faster :think: er, yeees, but only 2 secs off the 0 - 60 :dance: , almost as fast as the fuel guage dropping :lol: but makes the truck much more pleasant to drive, I think you're making a good choice, you'll love it, I did :thumbup:

Jeez, they'll do 60!!!!! I haven't tried that. Only been 55 in mine. :D

Hey just got more money than sense I guess. Just want to say, Intercooler - yeah it's got one of those, whatever, blah blah

Drove Matt's new one and although it may not all be set up prefecto on a rolling road sort of thing, it was deffo more lively than mine.

Chris

Hey hang on. 2 secs off 0-60. That's CD x BHP2 divided by E / circumference of the Earth, carry the 2 add Plank's constant :ugeek: . F** me Chas, that 1 million Horse Power!!1 That'll do for me matey. Whoo hooo. Where do I sign?

Chris said:
Jeez, they'll do 60!!!!! I haven't tried that. Only been 55 in mine. :D Drove Matt's new one and although it may not all be set up prefecto on a rolling road sort of thing, it was deffo more lively than mine.
Chris
I had my previous 80 up to 120 (indicated) but this one is a bit of an oldster so I treat it more gently :whistle: . Mine wasn't set up via a rolling thingy, just tweaked by Julian V, maybe that's something I should get done when it's finally back on the road :think:

Drove JUlians TWEAKED and intercooled and generally messed with 80. Issa FAST.

if your going to intercool the 80 make sure you get a 3 inch exhaust makes the most of the cooler. they do give you a lot more torque not so much speed just torque there is a large hill i tested my cruiser out before and after the kit was fitted. before it was fitted it would only go up it in 3rd gear after the intercooler was fitted it went up in 4th and now i made my side exit exhaust it flys up in 5th gear.

i also fitted a egt gauge when i fitted the kit so i new if i was working it to hard but i have never seen it go above 650 however hard i give it some.

next i want is a bigger turbo lol. any idea's

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Got a straight through already but only 2.5". Planning on a 3" system at some point. However, not looking for F1 performance. I just want to be a knob and fit and intercooler. Innit.
EGT is a good call. Looking at a few more gauges and stuff anyway. Bling bling.

:mrgreen:

Chris

Oh yes. Completely agree unless they cross the boundary on taste. Like a roof rack with tassels for eg.

C

How much :o

You can buy a decent generic i/c kit for £200 all day long, some trimming of pipe ends & some brackets yes (the easy bit) but no more than a lazy weekends work! Position is far more important than anything else.

This little set up makes 540bhp at 1.8bar, so something similar wont be worrying 200hp's worth at 0.8bar or maybe 0.1bar on the old boggo Toyota blower.

IMAG0478.jpg

IMAG0479.jpg

i went for a blitz gauge and sensor as i want something that would last and not snap off and kill the engine

I have one of those acnally guages in my land rover. They're pretty good and a nice small solution, pretty unlikely to snap off and kill the engine, not sure many egt gauges would do that probe would be fired out of the exhaust anyway. They used to do them for $199 delivered to the uk with sensors, which was pretty good when it was over $2 to the pound. Not so good now alas.

regarding the intercooler, the allisport one is a huge chunk of cash. If you've got the spare time, just get a generic intercooler of the right size from ebay (or even cheaper, one from a scrap yard) and then work out the pipework yourself, you'll save a lot of money and you can make your own decisions about how best to run pipework rather than going with what is the most convenient to make and sell on. Making mistakes with the pipework/silicone hose is expensive though at about £15 a bend, so plan carefully, or better still go to the scrap yard and get hold of a variety of pipework from other cars with intercoolers. It won't look so pretty, but you can tidy it up later with some shiny bits if you want to. At least that way you avoid making expensive mistakes.

You could also consider a top mount intercooler. A bit easier to plumb and less laggy, but subject to more heat soak from the engine and of course, they are smaller. You do get to use a hood scoop though. If you really want to play about, keep an eye on ebay for an early legacy or mr2 charge cooler.

If you can shorten your exhaust, that will help, eg. have it firing out the side. The standard routing on an 80 is really convoluted, so the fewer bends the better. no need to go for 3" tube if you can keep it short enough.

If you fit the egt probe post exhaust scroll wheel thats the safest place, though you will highest temps drop by about 100-150 degC through the turbo.

I'd go for one of the Japanese made gauges, dead reliable & well tested eg Blitz, HKS, Sard etc

Sorry for the hijack - but are we talking £85 up to £225 for a gauge?!
That's a lot of £ for a gauge compared to - well almost anything!
Is my understanding that it's an output / display device only and based on what it says you would adjust your turbo settings?
I have an intercooler (which is where a lot of this started! :doh:) but the adjuster hose is currently off post having the new engine fitted (I will pop it back on) and I was told by one of our members that "the intercooler won't be doing much without it" How true is this?
Ta. :whistle:

Dear Santa, well thanks a bunch. Did you forget to put the intercooler in your sleigh then or what?

Next year, I mostly won't be leaving mince pies and sherry out for you. And as for those f*****g reindeer, just remember I own guns!

Chros.

Christ almighty Chris I can't believe you are on the forum ranting on Christmas day!!!!!!!!!!
Mind you it's not too cold so you're probably on your back under the Phoenix

Have a great day intercooler or no intercooler
( my 12 v is intercooled)

Andy :thumbup: .

ooh pot and kettle! Clearly she must have turned her back for a second to let you slip out of the kitchen then :whistle:

Cheers buddy

Chris

Just a thought Chris, do you want to look at the installation of mine as I am not far away. Cant be tomorrow as I am off to Aberdeen.

Andy :thumbup:

Back