Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Defender 2 Forum - dream garage

Dave_S

Good forum for Landies, but some on there are a bit, erm.. OTT.

Someone posted a "List your 4 best Defenders for a dream garage" to which my response was...

On reflection, boy this is a dumb question - anyone that would have 4 "Defenders" (and that is a loose term at best) in their dream garage is either obsessed or very narrow minded. If we're talking off roaders, how about:

1. Unimog - ideally with fast axels and turbo.

2. Pinz 6x6 - already owned one - ace vehicle, wish I never sold it.

3. 80 Series Landcruiser 4.2 - simply the best - own one now and better than anything LR/RR have ever built - even 200k miles and nearly 20 years later its solid, 3x diff locks, chassis is mint... (sorry!).

4. V8 or tweaked 200/300 Tdi 90 - for
icon_censored.gif
-and-giggless (still regret selling my 200 Tdi too - my current Tdci doesn't have 10% of the charisma!).

So - in the expectation of an argument... what are your top "dream garage" off roaders?

Bowler Wildcat.
King Tiger
Half track
Humvee with 50 cal

Like your thinking - half track would be a US or German? Saw the Dixie Clipper at War and Peace a few years back and fell in love.... :dance:

German, I think. Troopie version

This was Rommel's.

Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 00.57.35.jpg

Last edited:
Driven one of those halftracks when i was young.....

my list would be the same as Daves apart from the 90 which i would replace with a Haflinger for a trials vehicle.

I would have to have some of these. Would make the M6 Midlands Sunday snarl up a pleasurable thing...

uploadfromtaptalk1439799487895.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1439799502042.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My four:

-IBEX: Land Rover, but improved: Awesome approach and departure angles, and I've loved them ever since there was one up the road from me as a kid
-Volvo C303: Volvo's take on the Haflinger/Pinzgauer... and I know enough Volvo people that the engine might end up a bit more interesting...
-Toyota PZJ73: I liked the size of a MWB Land Cruiser, and I like the idea of 5/6ths of a 1HZ... 5 cylinders make a good noise
-Merc G-Wagen, probably a Professional/Greenline panel van version for overlanding with an old skool Merc diesel lump in it.

1- Extreme-Adventers race 80 series

2- PX-10 HZJ73V

3- Mercedes Benz G55

4- 1967 Mustang GT500

Ariel Nomad
Mad Max V8 Interceptor
RS200
Ural 6x6

If you're going to play like that I'll raise you a 6R4 and a Sirocco Storm ....

Ural!? Damn - forgot about the ZIL 131... can I have an extra one please??

For the mud.........
Scammell Explorer
Volvo Sugga
Unimog U500

For the road.........
1965 Shelby 427SC
MG Metro 6R4
Panther 6

and bikes.............Far too many to list!

For the mud.........
Scammell Explorer
Volvo Sugga
Unimog U500

For the road.........
1965 Shelby 427SC
MG Metro 6R4
Panther 6

and bikes.............Far too many to list!

I said off roader - the Shelby will die... :-(

Scammel Explorer
Oshkosh MMRT
(Still deciding)

Tatra T-815.
Honda TRX500 Foreman (before about 2010, not one of the flakey recent ones). Which is what I use in any case when I don't want to get stuck.
Late model LC100
Very early 2 door Range Rover.

Finally made my mind up:-
Scammel Explorer
Oshkosh MMRT
Zil-29061

Last edited:
Since I do own Defenders and Land Cruisers... And a few others:

- Can't-stop-it-with-anything: Unimog, fast axle. Can load heaps on it. Expensive to run and maintain. If this one can't pass, you need an helicopter.
- Can't-stop-it-unless-it-breaks, fun to drive, unparalleled suspension articulation, cheap parts, easy to fix, lasts forever if you have a toolbox: Land Rover. But Pulllleeeeeease... remove that abomination of an engine/gearbox (whatever it is, as long as it has Land Rover written on it), and put something made in Japan inside.
- Workhorse for everyday bush chores, even the locals find it difficult to break it, parts are everywhere: Land Cruiser HZJ7X pickup
- Comfy saloon, as reliable as a Cruiser, better off-road, way more comfortable though less load-capable, totally underrated by those unfamiliar with it: Isuzu Trooper 3.1

Now, for long journeys on a mix of bad roads and trails, with a heavy load, the 80/105 series stand tall. Use them to go to the bush, then jump on the bush rig.

Back