Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Definitive answer found!

dave smith

Country Flag
england
I have bought a pup, been sold a lemon, been stitched up, ripped off, shafted!.

Which ever way you paint it I am now convinced that the auto box is buggered.

The car now only needs to be shown a hill or even a slight incline will do and it reduces itself to 10mph and a faint judder. when it does get to the top of a hill it will pick up speed only to about 50mph max, then when faced with a very slight incline it fizzles out again, its seems to be fighting its own momentum. It will kick down and the revs will rise but speed will not increase. I have seriously had enough now It took me 7hrs to do a trip that should only take about two and a half.

I am most seriously displeased!:icon-evil:

Dave, I understand it can be disheartening and frustrating but the trucks are getting pretty old and certain things do need a refurb or clean to get them at it's best.

The exact scenario above, I have been there already. And it got worst where at flat, I couldn't get over 20mph.

I understand you may think it's the autobox, but what you're experiencing is the engine laboring when it's not receiving sufficient fuel. I posted in your other thread, the service routine for the fuel pump filter in the Injector pump and advise this is the best way forward and cost effective. Before you start jumping towards more costly items such as the autobox I think it'll be good to rule out the fueling side of things. Whilst you're at it, how does your turbo sound, healthy by the ear?

Turbo sounds good. Onne of the reasons I suspect gearbox is that the rad has been changed by the previous owner and i suspect it filled the trans with coolant if not cleaned out properly it will not do the gearbox any favours. This issue first started whilst running on diesel only and has only got worse. I will have a look at the pumps filters its worth a try!
The pumps filters look very awkward to get to with the pump in situ though can it be done?

Last edited:
Beau might be the only one on here that has actually cleaned those filters though i could be wrong about that , and he had the engine out at the time . I think the pump is your best bet but i was thinking today about your recent success "removed sidesteps and trucks running fine" , obviously the two events are unrelated but it doesn't add up that blocked filters in your pump might suddenly clear for an hour/day ? you didn't say how long it ran well for ?

This had me searching for a million to one shot - what would nobody look for ???

Could there be something floating around in your fuel tank which lodges itself in your pickup limiting fuel and on the day you removed the steps it dislodged itself because the engine wasn't running (no suction) and you dropped the truck off a jack causing fuel to splash around a bit . How does that sound for a million to one shot !

when you saying running on diesel only Dave. What do you mean?

Exactly as I said! I also run on veg when I have a good supply of it I buy 1000l at a time.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
First thing is to check and be 100% sure of, is it the engine or transmission. This way will not be running off on a tangent, andchecking / replacing things you don’t need to.

Last edited:
Reason I ask Dave is because I have ran on veg for years. I have also had many issues with fuel pumps going weak due to running on it. My guess will be pumps tired.

Jmo, but I've had loss of power so many times like you describe.

Last edited:
Diesel at the pumps these days contains a certain amount of biodiesel and this tends to clean out your lines and fuel tank. If you leave the stuff long enough you'll start to also see things start to grow. So what I imagine what may have happened, was you were using veg oil fine for a period of time and there may have been contaminants in your tank and pump. You then used Diesel and this shifted things around and may have started to clog things up a little more to the point you're at now.

I did the filter change on the car itself, despite my video showing a pump outside. The hardest one to access is the one under the spill control valve. From memory I believe it's a 32mm spanner. I had to cut and shape it in order to make it work. The other two are generally easy to get to. When attempting the one at the grey plug, be careful as there's a spring washer which can fall out without you realizing. If all else fails, you may just need another Pump. I've got a brand spanking new one if you're interested haha That's the one in my youtube video!

Exactly as I said! I also run on veg when I have a good supply of it I buy 1000l at a time.
That's probably your problem, veg oil cleans every bit of gunk out of the lines and blocks filters at an alarming rate. The other problem is the type of oil you're using, is it new, or used and filtered and what additive do you mix with it? If it's new a lot of the stuff has anti foam agents that can destroy an engine very quickly.

Only been running veg in it for a week or two approx 1500 miles. I have cleaned the tank and two of the filters on the pump but as mentioned the one under the spill is near impossible to get off it is as if it is rusted in place. I can see that the pump will need to come off to remove it. I have used veg in my previous Collie two 3.0 Surfs two Hilux's three Fourtraks and a Corolla and never had a single pump issue. I use it all year round and have found that in the winter months starting first thing in a morning can be difficult my usual remedy for this is to add between five and ten litres of unleaded petrol depending on tank capacity, this thins the veg to the viscosity of pump diesel and works a treat. I also use a bottle of injector cleaner periodically to remove any gunk build up that may be present. I am going to take off the fuel pump to see if It will strip down and clean but the other two filters had marginal if any dirt in them, at a guess the spill valve filter will be the culprit. In the meantime I will use one of my Hulux's (nice and simple with no fancy electronic gubbins to go wrong.

have you tried a stall test on the autobox?

If you've just started running on veg oil you may have to change the filters more than once, I've read of people having to carry spare filters with them and change them two or three times in as many weeks. It's not particles of dirt that's the problem it's a gel like substance that clogs everything up, that's why I said about the pickup filter in the tank, it's the problem I had with my Disco and I was only running diesel. Also a mate of mine used to make his own bio from used chip shop oil and he always added a litre of white spirit to every 20 litres of oil, from what I've read if you don't have a pre heater you can't just use neat veg oil, it has to have an additive.

Dave i've been investigating what the second smaller venturi butterfly in the throttle body does for my own purposes and in doing so chanced upon a number of people suffering a similar nightmare to you . It closes at low revs to reduce air and opens at higher revs , if the vacuum pipes that activate it are attached the wrong theres your answer .

Its something to investigate at least and if you have no joy with that maybe its worth looking at all the other vacuum pipes as they usually lead to solenoids who's job it is to interfere with fuelling .

Back