Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Delay in volt reading ???

Higgy

Country Flag
denmark
I was trawling through the other TLOC Site and came across a new post, Where someone posted about a potential problem, On the 24v with 24volt start there is about a 30 to 90 second delay in the volts reading Norm/max.. after first start up...... (Mine has always done this)....Doesn't matter if its Summer or Winter, Mine starts first time every time and the Volt reading is about halfway then a 30/60 second delay Then there is a 'Click' the Volt needle rises to about 3/4 up and every thing is Normal......... Mine has always done this, And just assumed this is how it is.. And never gave it another thought....... The other site has come up with all sorts of Potential Problems..... I think il ignore everything...

The only time mine does this is when the intake air heater operates. I found it sometimes kicked in on warm starts, ie, when the engine was not stone cold and the length of time the heater stayed on also seemed to vary so I fitted a manual override switch so I can disable or use it as and when required. Starting without the heater shows now delay in the voltage reading on the gauge.

Someone mentioned air intake heater on the other forum, They disconnected the main wire to the intake heater.. And all was well... Mine has always done this and has never given any Problems... If it is the air intake heater on mine, Why would it operate all the time??? Mmmm! can of worms Scenario looming...

Yeah, its the glow plugs/heater pulling down the voltage until they switch off after a minute or so.

Problem solved.... Lid replaced on the can of Worms... I must Stop reading Posts On other sites that don't Concern Me :lol:

The relay that feeds power to the intake heater is the one that sits underneath the offside battery and IIRC was the subject of a recall years ago due to fire hazard. Mine had burnt out and wasn't actually operating but was leaking power to earth draining the batteries when parked up. I replaced it with a motorcycle starter relay and moved it to a new position.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Towpack, I might investigate further and inspect the connections, But i guess if its drawing Power on Initial start up it means its working.... I like the "if it 'aint' broke, Dont fix it approach"..... As soon as i start Meddling with stuff The Lid comes off the Worm Can..... Especially Electrics:scared-shocked:

Thanks Towpack, I might investigate further and inspect the connections, But i guess if its drawing Power on Initial start up it means its working.... I like the "if it 'aint' broke, Dont fix it approach"..... As soon as i start Meddling with stuff The Lid comes off the Worm Can..... Especially Electrics:scared-shocked:

Just make sure you keep the smoke inside the wires! :thumbup::icon-biggrin:

Im always waiting for the next post regarding, Knocking/Banging/ Smoking 120's.... Oh! and im sure SCV's will be Mentioned. :lol: I always keep this Photo on my Fridge, To remind me what happens when i forget to take my Medication :wtf: ... drool if you want :lol:
DSCF9863.JPG

Same here Higgy, original scv's one of the stock trouble/answers.
The pic of your 120 is inspiring, orgasmic even !
I take it yours must have been a winner at some point with the towing you do, and the colour, same as mine, so on that alone, must be good !!

"The relay that feeds power to the intake heater is the one that sits underneath the offside battery and IIRC was the subject of a recall years ago due to fire hazard. "
And don't assume that yours has been changed under recall and now will be ok .... I'm aware of at least 2 1HDFT's that have suffered from failure and engine fires despite being supposedly changed.....
In the UK the grid heater in the inlet is not needed to start in the winter and is more to help emissions on cold start..... if it were mine I'd disconnect it and just drive it like you stole it on the way to the MOT every year

Thanks Grimbo, Mine isn't giving any issues, It was just someone had posted on another forum about the Delay in the volt meter rising to Normal.... And the potential probs....... I will inspect mine tho ...

The intake heater draws a lot of current and is on a timer/heat sensor. That's why the voltage goes up when the timer is through. I had my relay replaced under recall years ago but soon after I disconnected the leads to the relay. Never noticed a difference but it's kinder on the batteries and I only do short journeys so the relay would have been on most of the time.

Same here. Lots of fretting over burning smell many years ago and was advised to investigate the intake heater relay. It was a charcoaled lump so removed it and insulated the connections. I was told that we rarely got temperatures in the UK that would require the intake heating and I can confirm that I have never had any start problems without it

My 24v '95 had an issue with the relay not switching off the intake heater for some time. A few stop starts and the batteries would be flat. It would draw enough power to dip the headlights. Removed the main wire and end if problems. Took me ages to work out what was the cause.
The 4.2 engine starts in a flash, even in quite cold weather, mostly due to an efficient starter.

The relay that feeds power to the intake heater is the one that sits underneath the offside battery and IIRC was the subject of a recall years ago due to fire hazard. Mine had burnt out and wasn't actually operating but was leaking power to earth draining the batteries when parked up. I replaced it with a motorcycle starter relay and moved it to a new position.
I had exactly this couple years ago on an old 53 plate Audi A4. With all the electrics off and car locked yo could hear a constant low hum. It turned out to be the pollen filter air intake had a shorted circuit, relay and override switch fitted and all was good afterwards.

Back