Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diagnosing 1UZFE V8 overfueling in LJ70. Let the games begin...

Death (read misfire) by a thousand cuts by the sound of it.

Well done. All simple stuff really that just should have been done properly in the beginning rather than being thrown together.

Well done for finding it all. Congratulations on getting the results.

Death (read misfire) by a thousand cuts by the sound of it.

Well done. All simple stuff really that just should have been done properly in the beginning rather than being thrown together.

Well done for finding it all. Congratulations on getting the results.

Death by a thousand cuts indeed! Also wondering if all the old diesel was cleaned from the tank, maybe some got in the injectors, or the injectors are sticking a bit. Hopefully I'm on track now, will call first thing tomorrow for an MOT. Still need to change oil and I'm waiting on a coolant temp sensor (£10) easy enough to change out.
And Ben, good luck with the motor swap! If it's done right the first time, it's so much easier! Change/check everything you can while the motor is out, saves a lot of sweat later! Keep everyone posted on the MOT results, it will probably fail on something completely unexpected like a sway bar end link, but will see...

Death by a thousand cuts indeed! Also wondering if all the old diesel was cleaned from the tank, maybe some got in the injectors, or the injectors are sticking a bit. Hopefully I'm on track now, will call first thing tomorrow for an MOT. Still need to change oil and I'm waiting on a coolant temp sensor (£10) easy enough to change out.
And Ben, good luck with the motor swap! If it's done right the first time, it's so much easier! Change/check everything you can while the motor is out, saves a lot of sweat later! Keep everyone posted on the MOT results, it will probably fail on something completely unexpected like a sway bar end link, but will see...
I wouldn't worry too much about the old diesel. Unless there was a large amount left which I doubt (even considering the bunch of monkeys that did the conversion) then I would have thought a tank full of petrol would dilute it well enough not to be harmful.
Water and sludge may be different stories altogether of course.

99% sure it will have leaky capacitors going by the symptoms, I have plenty of experience with JZ ecu's that do it, they all do it at this age

Glad things are settling down, well done good job ! Just a thought, one thing I try to remember to do each year before MOT time (bugger, just realised mines due in a couple of weeks) is to run a tin of BG 44K through with the fuel. Expensive (shop around) snake oil, waste of money or not, it does seem to help clean things up and aid smoother running, but experiences may vary… and I’m not on commission.:)

99% sure it will have leaky capacitors going by the symptoms, I have plenty of experience with JZ ecu's that do it, they all do it at this age
:text-+1: Capacitors generally 'age' and go out of tolerance after long periods of use. Often worth changing them on anything old that has problems as a matter of course.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi all! MOT this morning, amazingly all it needed was some welding on the rear seatbelt mounts, and that was it. I immediately raced to weld it in a two hour window today and got that sorted.

Aftermarket carpet was completely glued to boot, so had to do some butchering, but it's plain black carpet so will find some more when the dust settles.

I ground back the rust, cut some chunky 3mm mild steel plate, and fired up my little mig welder - welds are not pretty, but really short on time today. The rear seat belt mounting points are rock solid now anyway.

I will definitely look at replacing capacitors soon just to be safe, but this morning it sounded very smooth and pulled like crazy. Also I looked at getting some BG44k, a lot of mechanics give it the thumbs up, the motor definitely needs a clean inside and out, but for now just happy to do a retest (hopefully tomorrow) and enjoy driving it. Thanks again for everyone's comments and advice, keep you posted.

14361478_10209578658276866_7034757941151259520_o.jpg 14425413_10209578658796879_9143300460521888052_o.jpg 14444672_10209578659556898_7718221114732290455_o.jpg 14352184_10209578660636925_3818419386725909694_o.jpg 14352249_10209578660716927_6652846465901413349_o.jpg 14424858_10209578661996959_3557973336872226545_o.jpg

Great bit of news that Rusty. Reward for all your hard work and excellent troubleshooting. You must be chuffed to bits. :icon-biggrin: Well done.

Great bit of news that Rusty. Reward for all your hard work and excellent troubleshooting. You must be chuffed to bits. :icon-biggrin: Well done.
Ah thanks, well there was no magic cure for the motor, just a worn part her and there, but still thinking to replace caps just in case. I couldn't sleep last night, was so worried about the MOT! The welding was minimal, I'll grind the welds down and do the other side when I get the chance and seal it all well. I still need to reseal the oil sump, and a few other bits (never ends of course, but that's part of the fun really). The guys at the garage were asking lots of questions about it, don't see many round headlamp LJ70s on the road these days, so worth the effort I think! Cheers all! :clap:

Best thing I know of for cleaning your engine internals is to replace the engine oil with ATF as it has cleaning properties and will still lubricate the engine, not for long term use, just a couple of minutes of idling and then drain and replace with correct grade engine oil, works surprisingly well.

Hopefully in for an MOT retest today or this week anyway, then will take my time and start tidying up and weather-sealing the wiring and other little bits to make it more reliable for trips around the Scottish Highlands this winter, often times I end up in some pretty remote places for work and especially for winter walks and camping, something I've always enjoyed.

I need to call Adrian Flux insurance today, I previously bought day insurance for the MOT as the garage was only 300m down the street. I had a good online quote so that should still be valid.

One thing I bought for emergency starting was one of those lithium cell battery jump boxes, they are tiny and you would swear it would never have enough power to jump start an engine, but they work incredibly well, even on the 4.0l V8 which had sat for some time. It charges phones and even my laptop as well. (cheap phone pic below).

The person I bought the LJ70 from recently listed a new ARB roof rack on ebay with the fitting kit - it sold for a paltry £103 but was collection only, too far for me to go unfortunately. I wished I knew about it at the time, I would have bought that in a heartbeat. I'd like to find some bull bars and rear light guards, but in time (though if you know of anyone...)

First things first, will sort insurance and catch up with reports for work so I can invoice those and replenish the piggy bank, it's taken a hit but the end result seems worth it, I always wanted a Land Cruiser. Apologies for not quoting everyone in my replies, I don't get to check the page every day so sometimes they stack up!

I'm sure I will have something else here soon, will perhaps start a new thread and check out other member posts in more depth. Cheers!

IMG_20160921_054017073_HDR.jpg

Good to have her tested, at least you now know you have a good base to work from now with any mods

Good to have her tested, at least you now know you have a good base to work from now with any mods

Yes quite a relief! Speaking of mods, I also just got off the phone with Adrian Flux insurance, they are the only people in the UK who would touch this one with the V8 conversion and the suspension and all the other mods, it's not cheap, though not outrageous either, and really good coverage. They did me a favour as my no claims doesn't transfer in the UK, and ended up giving me a comparable rate. So that's that, I'm good to go at last!!

Oh and the emission test results from yesterday which I thought were very interesting: 0.69% CO out of 3.50% max and 521ppm on HCs out of 1200ppm max, so for a non-cat motor that seems reasonable? Since it is pre-1992 it only had to pass the non catalyst test at idle, no fast idle test...

Great news on the MOT pass Rob, well done. :clap:

Flux arnt a bad insurer, I was always happy with them before I emigrated.

What mods do you have planned for the old girl? :think:

Cheers Ben, I thought for a minute on the phone I was going to have to sell the LJ as soon as I got it fixed, the insurer kept going 'ooh, that will change your rate'! Ha, anyway got there in the end.

No mods planned for now - I still need to get the tach and temp gauges working, the rest is ok. I've been using a handheld Fluke infrared digital thermometer to monitor engine temp under the bonnet and make sure thermostat was opening, all good there.

There really isn't a great deal to replace, more of a maintenance angle. I'll change all the drivetrain fluids to synthetic and do a brake fluid flush and tidy up and seal the wiring for a wet winter. I almost hate to drive it in the rain, it's so clean, but this will soon pass! Oh yeah, the old waxoil treatment after a bit of prep.

At some point I'd like a roof rack and a bull bar, both of which have recently gone on ebay dirt cheap, but they were collection only, one in Cornwall, one in Yorkshire...

Hope your project is going well, I'm still amazed at those welds! I bet you could make some killer exhaust manifolds.

Cheers and I'll keep up with your RJ thread!

Hi. Just joined this forum today because of yours and Ben ' s vehicles.

I transferred and registered my 1991 LJ73 with 1UZ today. Will post some details when I can.

You might be interested in this free software to read the output of the OBD1 port your engine has. There are also some details for error code reading

I will be having a go at connecting mine shortly, already found an old serial cable.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...196-free-toyota-pre-obd-datalogger-found.html

Reactions: Ben
AND finally, that link for the data logger is wicked! Just had a quick look, that seems perfect to have to catch any issues with engine management, sensors, etc. Brilliant stuff, leave it to the Russians to come up with something like that. I was going to wire up a permanent LED on my dash between pins 5 & 6 and E1/TE1 with a toggle switch to pull codes, but this data logger is a huge leap forward. I've downloaded both myengine and the cartester 8000 zip files and extracted then. Don't have time today to wire it all up, but this will be happening soon. Cheers!

Back