Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Did you fit a snorkel ?

Shayne

Guru
Do you think it improved engine performance in any way ?

Would i be right in thinking a snorkel is just a pipe that connects into your air filter box ?

I can't remember noticing any increase in engine performance when I fitted the Safari Snorkel to Fiery, but when I fitted a Mantec Snorkel to one of my Previouse trucks the performance increase was notable. So much so that when the snorkel top was removed you could feel the difference! I had already blocked off the EGR valve, fitted a performance cone filter, removed the CAT and given it a performance engine service including fancy spark plugs all with very little or no noticible effect. But the difference between running with or without the Mantec Snorkel top was significant! After much discussion this was put down to the way that the Mantec Snorkels top swirls the air as it enters the system. This then had me looking at Hiclones :)

Personally I'd not fit another Snorkel in the future and look at alternative ways of protecting the engine from water ingress if I planned any deep water wadding.

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/40131-Safari-Snorkel-Land-Cruiser-90-Colorado

Last edited:
Thanks Steven your reply is very relevant to what i'm thinking . I don't want a snorkel for deep water but i have heard people mention having slightly better mpg and other minor improvements after fitting a snorkel . I had to take the airbox off yesterday to retrieve a dropped nut and because i had been reading earlier about forced induction it got me thinking - forced induction - forward facing snorkel - better mpg . The standard airbox is fed rather vaguely from a pipe into the inner wing which pretty much means it breaths still air . Why not just cut a hole from the outer wing into your box , stick a pipe in and hide it with a vent cover ?

better mpg for me with snorkel facing backwards

ram effect i reckon would need very high speeds, am theorising that a bit of a vacuum developed if facing backwards bit like all the road dust etc getting sucked onto the back of the truck.

Makes sense Adrian and stops rain water getting in at speed :think: the same vacuum effect keeps planes in the sky !

Save your money and spend it on diesel. It's not complex maths. If one saved you say 5 mpg and you did 10k per year then it may start to swing your way. But you're more likely to lose mpg due to wind resistance. I certainly didn't see an improvement in performance on any snork that I fitted but like Adrian, I did detect (or perceived) a very very slight LESS loss with it facing backwards. Not an increase, just less loss.

Rain water doesn't go in them Shayne. They actually did think of that when they designed them. Perfect for the UK market.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You misunderstand Chris i don't want the snorkel but i was thinking , just for example to makes things clear , imagine you fitted a snorkel then sawed it off flush at the wing , obviously you no longer have a snorkel nor the intended benefits of one , but you do have air being pushed into your airbox which seems to me should be better than the standard set up which forces the engine to suck still air through the filter .

Still begs the question would the benefit be worth the effort .

Just disconnect the end of the boom bottle extension next to the filter housing where it comes through the wing. You don't need to cut a hole in anything. It's barely even a joint. It's a trumpet with some foam in it. The only reason it goes into the wing is because there is bottle on the end of it so that when you drive along it doesn't go Booooaaaaarrrrrrr!!!!

The "Booooaaaaarrrrrrr!!!! " is obviously unwanted but the cause of it is , if a suitable vent cover could be found to remove the noise surely what you end up with might vaguely be described as forced induction .

Shane if the air is running down the front wing its not forced induction.
If you had a trumpet facing the front this is forced induction as the air is being compressed on a very small scale. drive along with you hand out the window running with the door No resistance.
turn your hand so its 90 to the door and feel the difference.
Stu

IIRC diesels don't respond to any kind of ram air induction anyway. it's not a nitro fuelled dragster. We have had this debate about snork head facing back or forward. Forward does not create forced induction. Not even vaguely. Removing restrictions is one thing but ramming is another.

I'm not making myself understood , would it make things clear if i said put a bonnet scoop on so it feeds air through a pipe into your air box , The air box would become pressurized .

It would depend on the shape of the vehicle. some have dead air spots where you would get nothing at all. if you look at top road dragsters they sometimes replace the head lights to achive this effect. Alot depends on the shape and How much air you can actually get into the engine. my prado has the top mount intercooler but the scoops in the front o=f the bonnet and would be intereseted how much air this does add to the system i think it would be a bit but would be better with a scoop like a Navara d22 sorry to sware on the forum.
Stu

A number of members have "turned up the fuel" resulting in obvious improvements , fuel needs air to burn so why can't we turn up the air as well ?

I'm no expert, but surely the Turbo is doing all of the sucking, compressing and ramming that is required by the engine no matter where the air is coming from and any left over is being dumped thro the waste gate. Isn't it?

Back