Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diesel filler pipe replacement

Bob

Supporter
Country Flag
ireland
Last week my diesel filler pipe sprang a leak and the truck did an impression of a dog taking a piss at the pumps. My local Mr.T wanted €148 for the pipe assembly:shock:.. Off to internet land and Milners delivered one to my door for €78

IMAG0102_zpsvoyst7xj.jpg

Toyota genuine part... Result!!!

IMAG0103_zpskviuq5ff.jpg

The job requires very little, compared to a 100. Simply remove the wheel, and the inner wheelarch plastic piece to get access. The poppers are hard to get at, so I just removed one, and folded it back to leave plenty of space to see the offending article

IMAG0110_zpsadx3vvwc.jpg

Corrosion was that bad, it was leaking in 2 places. It's an area that traps road dirt so no great shock after 13 years and 270,000 miles

Hoses were in good shape and were re-used with new clips

IMAG0104_zpseuykt3c8.jpg

Removing the pipe assembly was quite simple as the hoses cross the chassis rail, so it's all inside the wing. The bottom fixing crumbled when I turned the nut, that's how bad it had gotten.

IMAG0109_zpsp7y1pbee.jpg

IMAG0113_zpsoss7govu.jpg

The top one came off much better, and the bolt threaded out after a good soak of penetrating oil. Out it came to be seen in the light

IMAG0115_zpsz5rmboxg.jpg

IMAG0114_zpsmwf4fbry.jpg

The new pipe went in very easily. At the top it just pokes through the rubber boot into the filler cap opening.

IMAG0117_zpsmvmrwscf.jpg

At the bottom I made a little bracket to replace the rotten mount out of a piece I had in the shed, keeping the hoses covered to prevent dirt getting in.

IMAG0116_zpsoo6efbb9.jpg

New hose clips and tighten it all back up and job is done.

IMAG0119_zpsvu5yxlkh.jpg

I'll give the bracket a coat of hammerite or something tomorrow to protect it. It has a stainless bolt and nut in it. Put 50 litres of diesel through to test the seal, and all is good and dry! Happy days

Last edited:
good job! I have never looked at mine - if it stops raining I 'might' get down to have a look!

Back