Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diesel is DEAD

Hopefully when all the new vehicles change to petrol the demand for diesel will drop and we can go back to diesel cheaper than petrol like in the good old days :)

Won’t apply to the landcruiser of hilux range, there’s a thread elsewhere on this

Landcruisers (and Hiluxes) are considered ‘Commercial’ by Toyota so are unaffected… :dance: for now :?

Long live the Landcruiser!!

Landcruisers (and Hiluxes) are considered ‘Commercial’ by Toyota so are unaffected… :dance: for now :?

Long live the Landcruiser!!
:banana-rock:

I still think the value of old school 4x4s might hold firm. I was behind a new disco yesterday, what the hell is that all about? Ive seen more ground clearance on a skate board..

Given the current attitude to diesel engines I think you guys are being a touch optimistic on the long term diesel question. It's starting with new/modern diesels but, IMO there's no way smoky old oil burners are going to escape the axe, even if it means just making road tax and diesel fuel prohibitively expensive for anything other than large commercial vehicles. The fact is, if the government wants (is made to ) get them off the road there's probably 101 ways of doing it, unfortunately. I hope I'm wrong of course.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Stricter MOT tests will be nightmare too

The current raft of new MOT regs are largely non retrospective.
If they ban diesels in the UK there’s plenty more places to live on the planet that embrace them. Typical, go for the easy targets first.

Given the current attitude to diesel engines I think you guys are being a touch optimistic on the long term diesel question. It's starting with new/modern diesels but, IMO there's no way smoky old oil burners are going to escape the axe, even if it means just making road tax and diesel fuel prohibitively expensive for anything other than large commercial vehicles. The fact is, if the government wants (is made to ) get them off the road there's probably 101 ways of doing it, unfortunately. I hope I'm wrong of course.
Then I'll be running veg oil!!

As a truck mechanic I see diesel, diesel and yes more diesel. They aren't going to change this overnight are they, change the back bone of the country i suppose you could call it.They've just brought out some 7.5 tonners electric but they do 100 mile to a charge then take hours to charge. Hardly ideal when the diesel will get you to France and back on a tank........ won't make a great "stobart spotting" programme will it if they're electric

It’s not commercial diesel use they’re targeting, that’ll take decades, it’s private car use, probably because they’re an easier target.

It’s not commercial diesel use they’re targeting, that’ll take decades, it’s private car use, probably because they’re an easier target.
As long as there's commercial diesel we'll be OK

Plus the fact the air produced is cleaner than what it burns. Let' be honest at the moment what on earth are they going to replace it with? What about shipping containers too, they have little diesels in too as far as I'm aware. They'll take some getting rid of. I agree though, the new diesel cars will dwindle out but I reckon diesel fuel itself will be available for a whole yet

As long as there's commercial diesel we'll be OK

By commercial diesel use I meant that used by heavy haulage trucks, diesel locomotives etc, not car based diesel vans used by many tradesmen etc. Legislation can be very specific.

Plus the fact the air produced is cleaner than what it burns. Let' be honest at the moment what on earth are they going to replace it with?

Where on earth did you get that idea? Even the most incurable diesel head wouldn’t argue that one. Any road up, I’ll say again, it’s getting people out of their diesel cars they’re after, NOT the umpteen other commercial uses of diesel fuel.........for now.

Apologies I was referring back to trucks (it's diesel ain't it haha). All I'm hoping is they concentrate on the new cars and leave my old sheds alone

When Euro 5 trucks came out it was in the fleet magazines and sales pitch that the tailpipe fumes of a lorry were cleaner than the air going in... But in a city (London). And that was a few years ago, before low emissions zone etc.

Of course the soot was just caught in the DPF and ejected when you got out on the open road! I think the current war on diesels are due to the particulates though, not the CO level.

Diesels run on many things though, so there will always be something to burn in them.

Container ships, and underground coal fires cause much much more pollution than the UK produces.

By commercial diesel use I meant that used by heavy haulage trucks, diesel locomotives etc, not car based diesel vans used by many tradesmen etc. Legislation can be very specific.

Where on earth did you get that idea? Even the most incurable diesel head wouldn’t argue that one. Any road up, I’ll say again, it’s getting people out of their diesel cars they’re after, NOT the umpteen other commercial uses of diesel fuel.........for now.
lovin your positive problem solving vibe here!!:thumbup:

Back