Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diesel leak on injector pump

Trevor

Country Flag
england
I have a leak from the end of the timer spindle. Looking around the web I can't quite be confident what I'm reading as some folk say this is the ACSD and remove it pronto (I believe the ACSD has the 2 coolant pipes running to it).

Toyo shows this as a timer thingymabob which is at the end of the dotted lines in the pic below with the inner O ring numbered 22193. So do I remove this and blank off (any advantage or disadvantage in doing this? Or just remove and change 2 O rings, again anything that might trip me up on this?

Injection Pumps are not my area of expertise so some guidance would be most welcomed.

Iv had a small leak on my 24v for a while now.... But only leaks when the truck is parked up (over night) Cant for the hell of me find where its coming from, But its definitely the pump..... Dry as a bone when its been running all day.... Just seems to leak when stood...Thanks for the diagram, Il investigate further..... Still starts first flick of the Key, So at least air is not getting in....

I replaced the acsd with a blanking plate.
Air was getting in.
IMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0295.JPG

Aha, that makes a bit more sense to me now, looking at the pump I thought the bit the hoses connected to was separate to the spindle spring section. My diesel leak is dripping off the end of the spindle.

This is how it looks on the inside. (Apart from the broken off part.....)
Replaced it with a homemade blanking plate and an o-ring.
IMG_0361.JPG

When blanking off the acsd just be care full to use the correct length allen bolts. Too short could strip the threads and too long they will catch on the rotating drum on the inside..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The ACSD does 2 things when engine is hot.
1. Advances ignition.
2. Speeds up engine RPM .

ACSD does nothing when removed and engine is hot. Therefore not essential to have it as both above are slight differences.
Worst job is to connect the 2 coolant hoses together.

Well that all went smoothly.

I ordered the blanking plate and O ring from Toyota for less than £15, with this plate you can reuse the cap head bolts without worrying about bolt lengths.

I put the aircon idle up stuff back and needed a 31mm spacer to slide over the long 6mm bolt, made up from stuff I had, you can see the rusty sleeve top right from the blanking plate. The coolant pipes from the ACSD I just cut and then cut the 90 degree bend out of the top hose and joined them both with a brass 3/8 joiner and some stainless jubilee clips.

Primed the fuel filter, topped up the radiator and ran her up, no leaks. I did pay attention to tightening the bolts only a little more than nipped up so as not to strip those aluminium threads. Thanks for your help folks.

Last edited:
Great write up, On close inspection mine leaks in the same place......Another job to add to the list

Does that mean it does or doesn't cause any problems Frank:wtf:

The ACSD advances the pump timing when cold to aid fuel burn. As the engine coolant temp rises the timing is returned to normal so removing the ACSD should, in theory, make very cold starts harder but I've noticed no difference at all. I repaired my ACSD with a new O ring but couldn't be bothered to refit when it was clear it made no discernable difference to cold starting.

Last edited:
I'd rather it be on.

Mine on my black one was removed and the revs are too low on start up but ok when it warms up.

Iv got the kit to do mine, and to be fair id sooner leave it on than just blank it off... So il just replace the O ring me thinks..... Thanks chaps.... Its just passed MOT and the tester said the pumps not leaking and cant see any signs of it ever leaking..... There has been the odd drip thats why i bought the kit...... If it aint broke dont fix it, I guess.....

I'd rather it be on.

Mine on my black one was removed and the revs are too low on start up but ok when it warms up.

The ACSD does also open the throttle slightly when cold, that's the only difference. I just use the hand throttle, a bit like the old manual petrol choke, to rise the idle speed for a for the first few minutes after a cold start.

The ACSD does also open the throttle slightly when cold, that's the only difference. I just use the hand throttle, a bit like the old manual petrol choke, to rise the idle speed for a for the first few minutes after a cold start.
thats why i stick with it and put a new one on my 80 ages ago.
i do like the choke effect it has on cold mornings.

Back