Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diff lock actuator - question about changing...

SiCarrie

So, some background. When I bought my Colorado earlier in the summer, the diff lock whirred when the switch was turned (I honestly can't remember if the light flashed or not) - just playing with it to see if it worked. Last weekend, when stuck in a muddy hole, I flicked the switch and nothing. Still nothing this morning on the drive. Jeez, they don't want to be removed do they? In the process of belting it with a rubber mallet, I thought I'd see if I'd "freed it up". Certainly had, but the light was still flashing. In for a penny, I carried on removing it. Took mucho brute force and I think the corroded case couldn't take it - and broke. Nuts. I'll get a new one - it's only, wait HOW MUCH! Nuts, again.

Anyway - to the point. With the actuator off, the rack is hard to move across its full travel. It'll move a bit then stop. By wiggling a wheel, it will allow the rack across. Is the normal state of play?

Thanks!

SiCarrie said:
Anyway - to the point. With the actuator off, the rack is hard to move across its full travel. It'll move a bit then stop. By wiggling a wheel, it will allow the rack across. Is the normal state of play?

Thanks!

That sounds normal. The rack moves a sliding pinion that locks the half shaft to the crownwheel, it only slides in when everything lines up nicely.

Its the same when you engage the actuator, it has two clock springs which wind-up and apply tension to the sliding pinion, when everything lines up the spring fires it into mesh.

Its the same when unlocking, there has to be minimal load on the axle.

This is why the red 'diff lock' light flashes for a while when the lock is engaged.

Chris and I have put up posts about this here and/or elsewhere ( :whistle: ), you were lucky to get the old actuator out, I had to destroy mine and bore out the alloy extension that carries the gear wheel.

Ian Rubie can get Actuators, I paid £400 for mine.

You may need a new actuator switch as well (the one fitted above the actuator into the diff).

Good luck.

Bob.

Ta. Actuator ordered. Fingers crossed I won't need the switch...

PS: Have read your guide to installing - thanks!

Back