Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diff lock sticking?

Wildplaces

Country Flag
europe
Hi
Newbie here.
I've just bought a FJ129 2005 LC3 manual diesel, with 110k on the clock, and trying everything out...
It goes into HL fine while driving, but when I put it back to H the diff light stays on for 3-5 minutes every time. Stopping and restarting doesn't help,
I've read that reversing or slaloming the steering can help it drop out, but I don't want to have to do that every time I use the lock!
Might it improve with usage, or should I get the garage to have a look?
Any obvious fault spring to mind?
Suggestions?

Cheers
Charles

Hello Charles and welcome to the club.The first thing , if you haven't done it already is to change the oil in the transfer box, Rolling backwards in neutral while you change back to H can also help.

Imagine two flat plates squashed together moving in opposite directions , one has a sprung pin in it and the other a hole for the pin to drop into , unless its aligned the pin won't move . Its a touchy feely affair that you can't force but you will get a feel for it until its just a case of slipping the clutch a little .

Hello Charles and welcome to the club.The first thing , if you haven't done it already is to change the oil in the transfer box, Rolling backwards in neutral while you change back to H can also help.
Thanks for that. I’m popping in to the spanner man next week anyway so I’ll ask him to do the transfer oil.
I was hoping it would drop out of lock without having to stop the car, let alone rolling backwards :). The manual suggests you can put in and out of lock while driving - as the conditions change...

Imagine two flat plates squashed together moving in opposite directions , one has a sprung pin in it and the other a hole for the pin to drop into , unless its aligned the pin won't move . Its a touchy feely affair that you can't force but you will get a feel for it until its just a case of slipping the clutch a little .
Thanks. The gear lever moves into H just fine, and when it does eventually drop out of lock it happens without me jiggling the lever any more, so maybe not a 'get a feel for it' kind of thing, I'll keep practicing!!

Wheels have to turn for the pin to find its place thats all , on tickover depress the clutch and let it freewheel a little . Lack of use and the tendency never to change transfer box oil probably doesn't help but it will become second nature .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Shayne. I'll practice!
I haven’t tried low ratio yet but presumably that will be the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Driving in reverse seems to clear it - which is helpful. However, better if it would drop out while driving after flicking back out of diff lock...

Back