Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diff lock time.

Gary820

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Might seem a strange question but how long should the diff locks take to engage?
Been testing them in the snow but not in anger, engage low range and centre is instant light on and abs off, engage front and rear diffs, front fairly quick bit of a wobble on steering now and again but the rear seems to take a bit more effort, bit of weaving down the road or a few figure 8's and it comes in.

Previous owner didn't even know what the switch did and looked lost when mentioned diff locks so I don't think been used before!! Do they just need working a bit to wake them up lol.
Only had dealings with Arb's or Aussie auto lockers so a new system to me.

.. ...hopefully they will only need a little use to wake them up ...

the rear is always slower to go in as it has quite coarse dog teeth on the mechanism and need a greater difference of speed side to side than the front which has quite a fine pitch. It should go solid fairly quickly if you drive slowly in a circle or are slipping and sliding a bit already.

Thanks, that's put my mind at rest, guess main thing is they engage. The thing that concerned me was how easy the front went in compared to the rear, makes perfect sense now. It was an excuse to drive round a snow covered car park. Bloke who bought it from said had never used low range or anything.
Must say I like how the abs switches off. Impressed with it to say it's on road tyres and the only loss of traction was driver provoked!

Im getting rid of the ABS on my trucks i hate it on the cruisers.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
IMHO its SXXT! Bit damp and it doesnt work how it should then throws you around the road. When you have a 3.5tonne trailer behind you you want the breaks working how they should as it can soon spit you off the road. Im taking it off both personal trucks very soon. Non abs break are alot better.

IMHO its SXXT! Bit damp and it doesnt work how it should then throws you around the road. When you have a 3.5tonne trailer behind you you want the breaks working how they should as it can soon spit you off the road. Im taking it off both personal trucks very soon. Non abs break are alot better.

I can only assume that your ABS is not working correctly. Mine does not behave like you have described. On normal wet roads it takes a really heavy brake foot to bring in the ABS. Obviously with the recent snow and ice the ABS kicks in more readily but it certainly does not vere all over the road. It behaves like ABS is supposed to and you can actually steer the vehicle while braking which is the whole point of it, not necessarily to reduce braking distances as many people think. Without ABS and the brakes locked you might as well have skis on each corner. Nobody but nobody can steer a vehicle in this situation. JMO

Last edited:
Only really had the abs kick in once and it more to check it worked.
Used to pull the fuse on the trooper when off road.

Dont get me wrong. Im sure there are 80s out there where the ABS does and works as it should. The ones i have driven have never seemed 100%. I saw your truck had 45k on it when you brought it. Whats it got on now? The trucks i drive or use have far more miles than that.

The amount of customers i have had ring with ABS issues as i describe is very supprising. I wish i had a pound for every one that called as id be a very wealthy man now.

The ABS light doesnt come on when im driving. It lights up when you start it then turns off straight away so as far as the mot goes there is no issue with the breaks.

I have driven 1000s of motors with or without ABS. Id rarther go with non abs anyday.

Last edited:
The LC now has 93k on the clock but drives like the day I bought it. I've read many threads on this forum and others regarding ABS issues so I don't doubt they exist. The wheel sensors seem to be a potential weak point on these trucks. You would expect a faulty sensor to bring up the warning light but maybe it's possible for a wheel sensor to go down in such a way that would not initiate a system warning in which case the ABS would behave erratically? For the ABS to work correctly the rest of the braking system, calipers, discs, LP valve and servo etc. would obviously have to be in perfect working order but if you are saying that your truck brakes work fine with ABS off then logic says there has to be some problem with the ABS system itself. I'm no expert and can only offer my opinion based on my own experience which, as far as the ABS is concerned, has been trouble free. I hope I don't live to regret saying that!

Back