Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Different between HJ45 4 speed and 5 speed length gearbox

Dag Einar

Country Flag
norway
Can someone tell me if there is a difference between a 4 speed gearbox and a 5 speed gearbox when it comes to length?
I am strongly considering putting a 5 speed gearbox in my HJ45 1980. It already has power steering and 2H, so there is really little difference between an HJ45 and an Hj47 as far as I am concerned....

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    677.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Motorrom.JPG
    Motorrom.JPG
    370.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    621.4 KB · Views: 27
I can't give you the definitive answer but I can tell you that my 40 has a 2H with a 5 speed box and the gearbox mount is original and has not been moved/repositioned.
Looking closely at the photo of your engine I think our engines are positioned the same in relation to the bulkhead so it leads me to think that the transmission - 4 or 5 speed - are the same length.
Hope that is some help

Regards,
Rodger

Thanks for your answer.
I assume that the H and 2H have the same length?
And therefor it wouldnt be problems with a 5 speed gearbox. But Im just curious, if it is the same its just go for the work...
It would be nice to ride with a lower rpm when it comes to noise and every thing.
Im into thinking of putting in a turbo as well, I do have the turbo and the manifold.

I did consider a turbo but opted for headers instead and the engine breathes so much better and pulls from very low revs.
The 5 speed makes cruising much quieter and easier at the lower revs.

Been there done that! The H55F is 88mm longer because of the 5th gear than the H41

Back