Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Different variations of 120 - 1KZ engines / D4D engines, 5 / 6 speeds etc... Injectors recalls etc..

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
Is there a thread or a sticky on this forum that explains or lists all the different variations of the 120 series, from 2003 - 2010 particularly for the Ireland / Uk models. I searched and didn't see such a thread, if not maybe we could put all the info in here. I'm personally only interested in the 120 LC3, the 2003 - 2010 short wheel base in manual form, but obviously feel free to include info on the other variants which may help other readers.

The Australian market seemed to have gotten a 120 with the 1KZ-TE engine that's in the 90 series colorado. Was this sold in the UK / Ireland too? What gear box has it, 5 / 6 speed if manual.
I never knew the 1KZ-TE was in the early 120's. When was the change over? Are the manual gearboxes in the 1KZ 120's 5 speed or 6 speed? I seen some of them advertised as 5 speed, is it the same 5 speed from the 90 series with the 1KZ?

Also, I believe I have seen 120 series LC3 for sale in the past advertised as D4D and 5 speed gear box, is this the same 5 speed gear box as the 90 series?

Is the D4D engines all the same from 2003 - 2010 in the 120? Which ones had the injector recalls, dates runs etc.

How many different engines / engine versions and gear boxes are there in the 120 LC3?

I'm buying one next yr and doing my research now, please keep the posts to just engines / gear boxes variants, I'm aware of rust issues, etc.... and have read the other threads on such.

Mine is a pre August 2004 1kd d4d with the five speed manual but not sure if the same as 90.my mates 90 Colorado 2001 has the 1kd-ftv,so gearbox could be the same.
Pre August 2004 european 120 ,s differ in that the ecu uses mobd protocol not eobd as post 2004.
Upside is mobd models were pre copper washer injector issues, and do not have compensation codes for the injectors if replaced, also the injector feedback limit is greater + - 5 before replacement not + - 3 as with post August 2004 models

@Screwdriver - That's great info! They're the little details I was talking about having in one thread.

What's the difference between the 1KD- ftv and 1KD- d4d ? I must look that up.
Edit: Form wikipedia it seems these are the same. I thought you meant your engine code was literally 1KD-d4d

What other engine codes are in the 120 cruisers apart from 1KD-FTV (I'm only interested in the 3.0Litres for the min to keep it simple)
What's the engine code in a 3.0L 120 of year 2009/2010, is it 1KD-FTV too?

I would have thought the same d4d engine that was in the last of the 90 colorado's would be the same engine in the first of the 120's but obviously not then so.

Last edited:
Yeah, I guessed that's what you mean to say after I read wikipedia.

So, we can say then that the first of the d4d engines in the newest of the 90 Colorado's is a 1KD-FTV and the engine in the pre 2004 120 series Prado's is the same engine code 1KD-FTV.
It'd be good if we could find out what the engine code is in the newer post 2004 120 series cruisers. I wonder is the same engine code used for a 2006/2007 120 prado and also in the last of them 2009/2010 120 prados?

I wonder did they keep the same engine code 1KD-FTV right through from 2003 - 2010 for the 3.0Litre 120 series prado's.

I remember being shouted down for suggesting there is a 1kd and a 2kd on here a good while ago . I think Toyota has deliberately blurred the lines whilst introducing the D4D badge .

Fortunately, my 2001 90 series has the good 1kd engine and not a later one . Though i still prefer my 1kz-te .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I seen mention of the 2KD on wikipedia, that seems to relate to the 2.5L, we won't talk about that though as it'll just confuse things. Haha :)

I also seen on wikipedia saying that the 1KZ-TE is also in the 120 series, that's completely false though, isn't it? Sure that wouldn't make any sense at all?

1kz-te used in the 90 series up to 2000 then replaced with 1kd-ftv as used in the 120

No Australia got the 1kz-te 120 series .

Its assumption but after about 8 years on this forum the 1kd used in the 90 series is pretty much bombproof and all 1kd posts relating to problems and repairs relate to the 120 series .

Something changed me thinks , but of course it could just be that 1kd 90's are few and far between .

Last edited:
Forgot about Australian versions, I think they only got the 1kd in later euro 4 spec guise.
Mine is pre August 2004 euro3 spec and according to Toyota service manual all pre August 2004 used the older mobd ecu so do not have injector compensation code function and a max injector feedback + - 5 and no copper seals not 3 with copper seals as with later ecu post August 2004 models.
Maybe my older ecu spec was from the late 90 which would explain less issues.
My mates has just bought a late 1kd ftv 95 so next week will see what similarities there are engine wise.

Back