Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Digital Voice telephone on Fibre.

frank rabbets

Guru
We have had fibre into premises installed so there is no copper from here to my exchange and probably to the server too. Great. Then we were forced to have phone over fibre as well. We have 4 house extensions and an overhead 120 metre cable to garage. They supplied a mobile phone to connect to router and 4 x mains powered adapters to connect extensions to router. We have a large house and the adapters had a 5 metre range so could not reach the router. the mobile had 50 metre range so could not work in the garage. We were left with 1 phone plugged into the back of the router which could not be heard ringing anywhere except in the room with the router. Then I had an idea. If the router was ringing a standard phone why couldn't I use this for the whole house wiring? So I made a cable to connect to lead from the back of the router to the house extension wiring and disconnected BT copper wires. Perfect! Why don't they supply a cable rather hundreds of pounds of stuff for a large house?

Because smart replaced clever , stupid replaced funny , and only cave men repaired things .

Me cave man, you clever.
Sorry TP, supplied by my broadband provider BT. I had to cut plugs off various spare cables to make a suitable cable.

I'd mention the generation labels but i lost track of them long ago and google results for the muppet generation in which we now live got very confusing .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
With BT's FTTP service you can opt to keep the copper pair just for PSTN voice use and the fibre is purely for the broad band connection, or at least you were able to initially when FTTP was being rolled out but I think they and most other ISP's are moving over towards a fully digital, fibre only service. They used a hybrid cable with a copper pair and a fibre optic core to deliver both technologies into the house. The cable you've used to connect the digital voice (phone) output from the router to your existing wiring is something I have used before but I've no idea why they opt for the WiFi connectivity route for the phones when a simple cabe will do. We have a digital voice (phone) socket on our router even though we have a FTTC connection (a copper pair only into the house) but it's not activated as we still use the copper phone line for voice calls with numerous extensions around the house.

Last edited:
TP we were connected with fibre/copper cable from the pole to the house instead of the plain copper and they spliced in that copper wire into their old cable. They then said we would change over to fibre voice which did not work so connected us back to the copper. Then they insisted on fibre voice so I had to think how to get all our extensions back up. We were on a REN 4 system. I don't know how many phones our router can cope with but we have 4 at the moment and everything rings and works OK. They have promised back up packs for the router and fibre box but nothing has come yet. We get quite a few power cuts.

@frank rabbets the white box where the fttp is terminated has a battery pack inside it.

You will need something for the router though and then every phone you intend to use!

Shayne that seems to be a Stephen Hawkins problem is there anyone who could do that equation as it seems very sloppy to leave the equals unfinished right at the end and if it's theory then my answer is Marmalade Donut

My suggestion comes from the fact i hate loose wires , even water pipes have me ripping off skirting boards and chiselling out walls or whatever i deem necessary to put them out of view .

I actually made this just so I can’t see the router and phone socket , phones an ornament that hasn’t been plugged in for over a decade .
50F5D198-82F0-4E14-AA9A-84E8FB43C301.jpeg

Last edited:
Back