Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dilemma! WTF!

Higgy

Country Flag
denmark
Well ! Arrived at the Marina last Monday, To discover the owner had sold the Business and Land to a Lithuanian Property developer/Builder.. without telling a F@%king soul.. Then discovered it was Vacant Possession. And we have all been given Notice to leave.. In the mean time the rent/Mooring fees have gone up, In some cases nearly Doubled. Effective Immediately.... Great! so im stuffed....So basically iv got to try and sell every thing.. Containers/ramp/ My 12v resto project/...... Could F***ing do without This.... Life's surprises 'Heh' :wtf:

Last edited:
That’s a poor show, you need to find yourself your own yard rather than sell up, Oh, and pray his next 5hit is a hedgehog. Karma will find him and pay him his dues

I feel like cancelling my Direct Debit for rent etc, And let him fight me for it......The owner has always been an arsehole, But this is as low as you can get...Grrrrrr!

Your contract is with the original owner unless he can prove that the incoming owner has taken over that responsibility.

original owner has done a runner so to speak, And the Eastern European heavies have taken over the Office.... Strange because around Xmas i noticed 6ft 8 Leather jacket Clad Bruisers milling around the place.. Makes sense Now...... So much for F***ing Brexit :confusion-shrug:

Houseboat eviction uk led me to this and while i don't know your circumstances it seems to offer the most probable route to legal assistance .

I'd take the poor mans shortcut and go to citizens advice , my one and only brief visit to their office suggested to me that these volunteers have a direct and personal line to every local department of government not so much as so they can ask questions but rather so they can tell incompetents how to do their job .

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Shayne.... After talking to a few other Tenants/Moorers/renters etc... Basically they are telling him to go F@&k himself and are not moving till they have found alternative places and now some are getting the council involved, saying they need to be Re- Housed... Its all kicking off....... If i was 25 again i would fly into the Office like i was jumping into a Mosh pit... But now im not far off 60. And go down like a sack of Shit if i bang my Hip on the Kitchen work Top :lol:

Thanks Iwan,
Alot of folk live on their boats on Hard standing, Have done for years, and its never been a problem, Most are under the Radar so to speak. And the council turn a blind eye because they would have to find them alternative housing.... New owner says its not acceptable any more and he has got the council Involved and health and safety. He says he has a duty of care and would be liable for anyone dying from cold /fire/Carbon monoxide poisoning etc, I guess legally he has a point... I dont live at the Marina, But rent a plot of land where i have built a workshop/ Leantoo, built gates. Made it safe /secure etc all legal and above board.... His future plan is housing im guessing He is a Property developer... And knows Naff all about boats.... Good luck to him.. The place has been on the down for a long time.. But i kept myself to myself and it suited me... I guess its time to move on and do something different... But the 12v project is sat on the ramp with the engine in the workshop.... I need to calm down, and sit down with the new owner and have a talk... Hopefully get a bit of time... Instead of listening to all the gossip

Last edited:
"I guess legally he has a point" - I guess legally he absolutely doesn't. Certainly not under a criminal duty regarding 'health and safety'. Remember that H&S only applies where there is one party at least who takes the role of an employer. And it's the employer who hs to consider what THEY do that might be affecting you. Not the other way around. Sounds like a convenient excuse to me. If it comes to trading blows at all (not physically) be sure to ask for precise clarification on anything that he says is a valid reason. Don't argue it, just get the exact nature of what law, regulation, by law, duty of care, code of practice or whatever he's quoting. Being liable for something requires a test to say that you're liable in the first place. H&S is criminal law, not civil, for which there'd have to be a breach and that usually ends in a determination of guilt, not liability. Do remember that councils have to cover both criminal and civil requirements in some cases, so just because they come from the Environmental Health Dept, does not mean it's a criminal matter and enforceable. This sounds much more it's to do with occupation and landlord / tenant agreements.

Many people genuinely think that they're liable for things that they simply are not. Many old wives' tales out there.

Agree Chris... First thing he did was put the Rent/mooring fees up within 2 days of ownership..... Hes looking to push people away. with high rents and threats of council getting involved..... Im thinking 5 yrs Time it will be full of riverside apartment's and Prosecco bars...... I think all cards are marked, he can sit it out until we all drift away. Eventually..

it does sound like he's got a plan doesn't it.

Tough news ....the world has a habit of throwing the odd curved ball , my only words of comfort are that in life I've normally found as one door closes another opens .

Your last but one post indicates that after a bit of thought you have hit on the best course of action .... try and talk with the guy or his agent .

You're not living on site , you have made a secure working area and I presume you pay rent so he may be happy to have an income from your part while he sorts the residential boats out.... as you say it's not going to be built on overnight so you may be able to agree on a 6 month rolling agreement while you look for another site .

Thanks Grimbo.... Wise words mate... Tomorrows another day, As they say!...

Might be worth checking with your local district council planning department to see if any applications have been lodged for the site. If he is planning to develop the site, delays might be an added expense for him to take into consideration. Any rare newts in the area ?

Worth looking into Flint...Its just the Hassle of Moving (Again)... Don't think im 'gonna' do it, I f he wants us out, Im 'gonna' build a 10x6 Shed in the garden and Tinker with an Old T140 Bonneville ....... Keep a few 240v Hand tools, Get rid of the big stuff... Im on the short list for an Operation, So iv got that hanging over me, And will be out of action for a while after... Just bad timing at the Moment..... I should have seen this coming... I will know more over the coming Days/weeks im sure

Quite understand that you don't want the hassle or expense, but my thinking was that a site with tenants is worth £ to the developer whereas an empty site is worth ££££. As Shayne said, Citizens Advice is a good place to start (though I think they're pretty busy at the moment) to find out your legal standing. Even if you haven't got a written lease (if you have, all the better) some form of compensation might be due for any improvements that you've made.

Sorry to hear this Higgy , not a nice thing to happen .
but my thinking was that a site with tenants is worth £ to the developer whereas an empty site is worth ££££.
1+ for this .Banding together with the other tenants and negotiating together might get better terms for you all,You might even get paid to go quietly...

Back