Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dipping my toe......

Springate’s

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi everyone, just registered!
Currently I don’t own a LC but I’m very interested and been doing some online research etc.
For context, I had a Disco 3 for a few years but got rid when the faults and breakdowns became unsustainable! For the last 8 months I’ve had a BMW 320D Touring M Sport. Its a lovely car but I really miss the size and capability of a large 4x4.
I’m sorely tempted by the LC and its legendary reliability and longevity.
It would be a daily driver for work-30 miles per day, with regular loner journeys (220 miles) for fishing trips. Also, holiday trips/touring to N Wales and Scotland.
I’ll also need to persuade my wife!
So, I guess I’m concerned about running costs in terms of mpg/servicing etc on a vehicle which would probably have 90,000 miles and be 05/06 age?

Perhaps some experienced owners can point me in the direction of some buying advice, what to look for and avoid etc?
Thanks

Hi everyone, just registered!
Currently I don’t own a LC but I’m very interested and been doing some online research etc.
For context, I had a Disco 3 for a few years but got rid when the faults and breakdowns became unsustainable! For the last 8 months I’ve had a BMW 320D Touring M Sport. Its a lovely car but I really miss the size and capability of a large 4x4.
I’m sorely tempted by the LC and its legendary reliability and longevity.
It would be a daily driver for work-30 miles per day, with regular loner journeys (220 miles) for fishing trips. Also, holiday trips/touring to N Wales and Scotland.
I’ll also need to persuade my wife!
So, I guess I’m concerned about running costs in terms of mpg/servicing etc on a vehicle which would probably have 90,000 miles and be 05/06 age?
When it comes to Land Cruisers there a few to choose from, can you give us some idea as to size, are you saying 2005 or 2006 with 90,000ish miles on the clock? with regard to mpg and servicing, what are you used to spending? And what would you budget be for actually buying the Land Cruiser?

For example, if you are looking for a large Land Cruiser, the largest 2005 2006 would be the 100 series.

Hope this helps, a little.

Welcome Springate.
To put it into perspective on the reliability front I've been running Landcruisers for the past 23 years, I've has all types, 40's, 60's,80's, 90's 100's and a 120. Apart from regular consumables the only part I've had to buy in all that time is an ignition barrel when I pulled the key out in the wrong position and a heater matrix which developed a leak after 25 years ( sorted with a second hand one). Maybe I've just been lucky but it seems to be a trend that even quite old Cruisers are still unerringly reliable with a lot of miles on them.
If you're used to a Disco 3 I'd recomend an LC 120 4 pre march 06 with the 5 spd auto box. I have one of these but it took 10 attempts to find one with an acceptable lack of rust underneath. BTW at this age they are usually getting ready for a set of injectors which is a £1k job. I get a regular 23 knocking about and 27-8 on a run which is a little heavier than a Disco3 achieves.

Many thanks for the replies guys. I guess budget will be £8-9000 Trade.
Currently get around 45mpg in the 320D (I know this would be impossible with a large 4x4). Last service was over £500.
What would be an acceptable level of rust? Is this under body/chassis?
I’m still a little confused between the 100 and 120 series-is this just related to age?

Last edited:
I'd google "Landcruiser" and do a bit of reading. Also look up "Prado" as thats more the medium weight Cruiser.
To pay £8-9K at the moment should get you something "top of the tree" on the 120 front .
Remember patience is everything when looking for an above average Cruiser.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
1587931473358.png

Many thanks for the replies guys. I guess budget will be £8-9000 Trade.
Currently get around 45mpg in the 320D (I know this would be impossible with a large 4x4). Last service was over £500.
What would be an acceptable level of rust? Is this under body/chassis?
I’m still a little confused between the 100 and 120 series-is this just related to age?
Your gona struggle to find a 100 series 2005-2006 with only 90,000 miles for £8-9000, at that age and mileage in reasonable condition with some service history you'll be looking at a minimum £14,000 non trade, trade will be higher, I've seen them with an asking price in the low to mid £20,000's.

BTW, a 100 series is a 'heavy weight' Land Cruiser, so I think as ACGL says you'd better off looking for Prado 120.

And don't even think about a 200 series. :smile:

Just have a look on eBay for 100 series, also known as 100 Amazon 1998-2007, or Prado 120, as eBay is a good indicator of asking versus selling price, also remember, you get what you pay for, and you buy cheap you buy twice.

With regard to service history, just because it has a full service history from Toyota, ain't necessarily a good thing, as for example, many of the owners of Land Cruisers, (what ever series they are) on this, LCC, know far more than any Totota dealer about Land Cruiser, so their service and knowledge will be much better than most Toyota dealers.

Things I would be most intrested in, after condition and mileage, would be, have, Genuine parts been used, e.g, timing belt kit, oil filter, brakes etc, etc.

If you buy from a none Toyota dealer, then the phrase 'just been serviced' will be used, and the service parts will be the cheapest parts they could find. As you can tell, I'm a great believer in Genuine OEM parts, with no 'cutting corners' on belts and brakes. :smile:

I'm probably 'teaching you to suck eggs' here, but I hope this helps.

Happy Land Cruiser Hunting,

Good Luck. :smile::thumbup:

Agree wth JJ. With regard to service history, as far as I am concerned, that has to be backed up with receipts anyway. A fully stamped book tells you nothing, only that the lc has been back to Mr T . The stamped book does not tell you what has been done or parts used, so without receipts there is not a full history.

Back