Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Disable Auto Locking?

stuzbot

Simple question. Is it possible to disable the auto-locking on these motors? Mine seems to lock itself after about 30 seconds and I'm paranoid some day I'll leave the keys on the seat, close the door without thinking and get locked out. Or even have the keys fall out of my pocket unnoticed and then get out and close the door, with similarly disastrous results.

After all. Even Cynthia managed to lock himself out of his Land Cruiser on one of his adventures.

I've taken to leaving the rear door open, while working on the truck, as that seems to override the self-locking. but I'd rather just get rid of it. I think the chances of me forgetting to lock the doors are much much smaller than those of me unthinkingly closing the door, with the keys still inside.

I have a spare, flat (non-immobilser) key that I have sellotaped to a business card and that lives permanently in my wallet. Just in case.

It only locks itself when you unlock it but don't open a door. So, if you lock it, accidentally press your keys which unlocks it as you walk away - it locks itself again 30 seconds later. If you forget to lock the doors it doesn't do anything. If the keys are on the seat, you couldn't lock the doors to begin with.

I wouldn't fanny around with something that millions of Toyota owners across all models have had for decades without a problem. Why make something complicated?

I have a spare, flat (non-immobilser) key...

I've a spare too, which I keep in the house. I'm more worried about accidentally locking myself out, while away from home. I had actually thought of secreting the spare key somewhere about the underside of the vehicle. A bit like granny keeping a spare front door key under a flower-pot. But it's a bit of a theft risk, if someone found it. And would probably invalidate your insurance.

It only locks itself when you unlock it but don't open a door....

But doesn't it lock itself again 30 secs after you close the door? eg. I unlock the car, open the rear door to get my tools out and then close it again. But... Whoops! I set my keys down in the cargo area while picking up my tools and now I've left them inside. Won't it lock itself again then?

If it's only triggered by failing to open a door a certain time after unlocking, that wouldn't be a problem. But I'm pretty sure I've had it lock itself again after I've opened a door, flipped the bonnet release catch and then closed the door again

I don't carry a wallet that often. So couldn't depend on that being on my person when needed. I used to keep my spare van key on a bit of paracord round my neck, after accidentally locking myself out of that once. But that was just a plain metal key. The spare I've got for my Land Cruiser has the big fat plastic top on it. So I'd look like 70s Medallion Man, wearing that round my neck.

Is there a slimline metal style of key available then, without the plastic fob gubbins? Or do you have an exceptionally roomy wallet?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
But doesn't it lock itself again 30 secs after you close the door? eg. I unlock the car, open the rear door to get my tools out and then close it again. But... Whoops!
Does it really do that? I haven't noticed that - and that would just be strange, whats the point in that! Like every time the door shuts, it wants to lock it automatically? I dont think it works like that.

I'm pretty sure mine just locks itself if you unlock it and then dont bother opening a door for a while.

My 78 will lock itself unless you have put the key in the ignition, just opening the door does not stop it locking

The only way you'll have that issue is if you have a faulty door sensor. It will not lock itself ever if you open a door.

I had a faulty door sensor on a VW Passat a long time back and it did lock itself with the key inside one day.. I was not a happy bunny

As others it shouldn't lock after a door has been opened for certain amount of time.
I can unlock my 120, open drivers door to let the electric windows down in hot weather, then leave it in the yard all day without it re locking on its own, or put something in/take something out.
I have noticed on 1 or 2 occasions however, that if I unlock, open a door to grab something off a seat, and immediately shut, it has relocked on its own. Some sort of timing process involved in the amount of time door/s have to be open initially ??

I'll have to check mine is actually behaving as it should be then. I was convinced that, the other day, I unlocked it, opened the door to flip the bonnet catch and then heard it lock itself again while I was looking underneath. But hopefully I'm misremembering and I looked underneath first, before opening the door and flipping the bonnet catch

I have noticed on 1 or 2 occasions however, that if I unlock, open a door to grab something off a seat, and immediately shut, it has relocked on its own....

Ah. Maybe that would explain it. If I just opened the door to flip the bonnet catch and then closed it again, it would only have been opened a few seconds. I wonder what the required duration is, which cancels the auto-lock then? Maybe 30 seconds is the magic number there too?

Last edited:
No idea if, or how long a 'magic' number would be Stuz, just that it's happened on a couple of occassions. Never bothered to dwell on it too much, as always had key in hand and walking away in the yard.
On my random findings with the short open duration, I may get caught out if not paying attention one day ?

On my 120 I think the auto locking thing only happens when we use the remote locking. If you actually key the door, open it that way, it does not auto lock.

I think.

On my 120 I think the auto locking thing only happens when we use the remote locking. If you actually key the door, open it that way, it does not auto lock.
If you open it with the key, does that disable the alarm?

I dont think I've ever tried it, but I've always assumed it left the alarm on as thats how it works on other cars I've got!

Just checked the 120 manual and it says you can change that 30 second auto-lock timeout - must be a techstream option...

You can get a 'flat' key cut for not much money at a key cutting place, which obviously won't start the car but will get you in if you've left the main key inside. Mine came with it but I don't know if it's an original Toyota one. That said, I've never locked myself out in seven years although my garage did it once when the car was up on a ramp - hence why I now carry it just in case. I have a habit of leaving the key in the ignition when I get out for various reasons so I like having a back-up in case the central locking has a Biden-style 'cognitive decline' moment. I think of car year as dog years, each human year is four for a car. So it's now 96 and can be forgiven the odd lapse.

Back