Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

DIY awning

pyemaster

Garage
Hi guys

Rather than clog up the other thread I thought I'd put up the requests for pics here.

It is stored in a bag on the side of my roof rack and pivots out from the back corner. There are three beams which have extendable sections, with a super-lightweight and ultra-thin tarp material covering the area between them.

The beams are 5ft long, made out of 1" x 0.5" box section ally, with a slightly smaller cross-section beam inside, which is 3ft long, and slides out and locks into place. Each beam is then 8ft long.

First, shots of the bag:

DSC_0031.md.jpg

DSC_0030.md.jpg

DSC_0028.md.jpg

Here you can see the ends of the beams, with an oval hole I drilled for the supporting extendable poles to attach (I keep them in the truck, and they can be brought out to sure up the beams if it gets really windy). You can also see one of the 3M snap-fit strips I use to attach the awning material to the beams. It isn't hook-and-loop velcro, but a new one which has a stronger sheer strength:

DSC_0027.md.jpg

Here's the tensioning arm which comes out and locks into place on the back of the roof rack, it keep everything nice and taught across the beams when it's fully opened.

DSC_0026.md.jpg

Here you can see where the inner beam slides out to get the full length:

DSC_0024.md.jpg

Coach bolt fulcrum:

DSC_0019.md.jpg

Opening out:

_20171217_1533071.md.jpg

Tensioning arm locked into place:

DSC_0018.md.jpg

Fully opened:

DSC_0020.md.jpg

_20171217_1449531.md.jpg

DSC_0023.md.jpg

The whole lot cost me two weekends and about £100. The setup is very light, but strong, and self supports fine in light conditions. When it gets strong I use the extendable poles I store in the truck separately, and they each guy down. It survived a big storm blowing in when I was camping in Wales in the autumn - I left it up all night and it got so strong I thought the whole lot would be gone in the morning! Luckily I only lost one of the little strips, job done.

Happy to answer any questions. :)

Owen

Hi guys

Rather than clog up the other thread I thought I'd put up the requests for pics here.

It is stored in a bag on the side of my roof rack and pivots out from the back corner. There are three beams which have extendable sections, with a super-lightweight and ultra-thin tarp material covering the area between them.

The beams are 5ft long, made out of 1" x 0.5" box section ally, with a slightly smaller cross-section beam inside, which is 3ft long, and slides out and locks into place. Each beam is then 8ft long.

First, shots of the bag:

View attachment 138273

View attachment 138274

View attachment 138275

Here you can see the ends of the beams, with an oval hole I drilled for the supporting extendable poles to attach (I keep them in the truck, and they can be brought out to sure up the beams if it gets really windy). You can also see one of the 3M snap-fit strips I use to attach the awning material to the beams. It isn't hook-and-loop velcro, but a new one which has a stronger sheer strength:

View attachment 138276

Here's the tensioning arm which comes out and locks into place on the back of the roof rack, it keep everything nice and taught across the beams when it's fully opened.

View attachment 138277

Here you can see where the inner beam slides out to get the full length:

View attachment 138278

Coach bolt fulcrum:

View attachment 138279

Opening out:

View attachment 138280

Tensioning arm locked into place:

View attachment 138281

Fully opened:

View attachment 138282

View attachment 138283

View attachment 138284

The whole lot cost me two weekends and about £100. The setup is very light, but strong, and self supports fine in light conditions. When it gets strong I use the extendable poles I store in the truck separately, and they each guy down. It survived a big storm blowing in when I was camping in Wales in the autumn - I left it up all night and it got so strong I thought the whole lot would be gone in the morning! Luckily I only lost one of the little strips, job done.

Happy to answer any questions. :)

Owen
Wow.A great idea brilliantly executed.thanks for posting this.

Thanks for the photos Owen.

Credit to you. I like it. Any plans for the sides or are you happy with it as it is?

Good work Owen! I find your post inspiring mate. Nice surf you have there... I quite like them and will admit that I have a surf also!

How are you getting on with making some snow chains? You never know you may need a set this winter.:think::thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers fellas, kind words!

Yeah I'm redesigning the sides at the mo Karl, will update once I've finalised it.

Iwan yeah I've paused things on the show chain front, though I almost needed some last weekend!

_20171218_094605.md.jpg

Good to see a bit of Surf love, I should get around to a thread on it at some point.

Owen

Nice! What fabric are you using for the awning?

Back