Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Do i need a split charge relay

Lexie

Country Flag
great_britain
With the intension of putting 2 light bars, 2 driving spots, 2 maybe 4 reverse/work lights, strobes and markers on my 80. Do i need a 3rd battery and split charge relay?

If you don't intend to use all of that whilst the engine isn't running for extended periods I would say no.

The split charge relay is really only when running a fridge etc and you don't want to flatten your starter battery.

I see. Am learning slowly lol.

None of the above will be on wile engine is off mayb sidelights/marker lights but i intend putting them on a switch.

One of my pet hates is lights all on and engine off.

Iv got one 42 inch light bar on atm and the difference is unreal, id rather drive at night now lol.

Iv a thing with lights some say.
20170508_222534.jpg
20170508_222449.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cant answer you that as i havent got them all yet.

Approx 2 light bars at 20 amp each
4 work/reverse lights 3/4 amp each
Strobes 1.5 amp

Wheres best for upgraded alternators, just for a price?

Going off the currents you mention, a massive alternator won't help. Its the cabling that is the problem the cable size you need will be in the rough size
of 50mm 2 ,

Use LEDs wherever possible and that will keep the current draw to the barest minimum.

Going off the currents you mention, a massive alternator won't help. Its the cabling that is the problem the cable size you need will be in the rough size
of 50mm 2 ,

50mm cable? That cant be right

Use LEDs wherever possible and that will keep the current draw to the barest minimum.

Yup leds all the way. All wired to a rocker switch bank inside, reverse lights wired to an ON/OFF/ON 3 way switch.

I cant see a problem as long as ur some what sympathetic to the alternator. Not as if your goin to be driving up the road at 50 mph with rear spots on

Yes 50 mm work it out, don't forget you will have a long length of cable from the front of the vehicle all the way down to the trailer and you will have losses
in the plug and socket, so the combination of the length and the size will determine the volt drop
admitting using LED will be better but going off your original values you need a very thick length of cable from front to back

Yes 50 mm work it out, don't forget you will have a long length of cable from the front of the vehicle all the way down to the trailer and you will have losses
in the plug and socket, so the combination of the length and the size will determine the volt drop
admitting using LED will be better but going off your original values you need a very thick length of cable from front to back

Iv already got enough lights on the trailer without adding anymore. The said lights are goin on the jeep

Its the area of the copper end. Not the diameter. So not nearly as big as your thinking.

12 volt planet has a cable size calculator and sells all the cable and bits you need. Ive used them a lot. Good site.

Back