Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

do the 12v and 24v use the same oil?

• Thread starter LandCruiser1978
  • Start date
L

LandCruiser1978

doing a change on my 1996 4.2td 24v this week and am unsure what oil to use!
is it the same oil as a 12v?
Also is there any brand of filters or oils i should avoid?

Short answer is yes! Use Toyota OEM filters (and their engine oil too if you don't feel like opening a can of worms about what oil is best :mrgreen: ) Their oil is usually well priced (you can also get it from Roughtrax online).
Most of us are running either 10W-40 or 15W-40 it seems.

I ran the Toyota oil for a while and then tried Castrol Magnatec part synth. Now I am trying Shell fully synth. The engine was noisiest on the Toyo oil.

oh yes i can see the worms ;) ;)

this oil is better than that oil . but this oil says it's better etc etc etc

phoned toyota and they have quoted £16.48+vat for the filter ..
asked them about the oil and the bloke said use 5w30 and you'd be beter buying it from local motor factors as ours is overpriced
i'll prob go for a 10w40 semi

For what it's worth I use 15/40 in summer and 10/40 in winter From local Toyota dealer.

All Toyota dealers buy loads and loads of oil. I ask which they have most of and want to get rid off today and then burst out laughing when they price it. And the discussions carries on Until we get to either a tenner with vat or a tenner plus vat for a gallon, then it make sense.

You should also be able to get around 35% trade discount on the other things like filters if you get to know the parts fellas and spend time with them.

I usually put 15/40 in mine but i would NEVER use 5/30 in it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
geordie_boy1978 said:
i'll prob go for a 10w40 semi
:thumbup: Guess what the Toyo oil for the 80 series is? If you're going for standard service interval(<5k miles) then a decent/average oil is fine IMO. The fancier oils only really make sense if you're trying extended intervals or have particularly harsh usage.

I agree 5w-30 is not ideal for these engines. But chances are it would be fine, especially in winter :mrgreen:

just found out asda are doing 4litres of castrol gtx 10w40 and 5w30 for £10

just on my way to asda
thats cheaper than i can get budjet oil from my local factors

SWMBO came back from shopping and told me ...

Oil change all done now .

I never skimp on the quality of fluids I put in my truck - whether it be engine oil, diff oil, etc

15W40 Delo is what I run year through

Just dont mix oils if you can avoid it

The 4.2 is a very simple lump so no need for exotic oils, ran cheap 10w40 semi Fuchs oil for 8K on a Bosch oil filter including a 5k trip to the Sahara and back and the oil test came back fine.

Make: TOYOTA Model:
LANDCRUISER 4.2TD
97 (HDJ80)
System: ENGINE
Sampled: 10/11/12 Received: 11/12/12
Machine Hrs: 168611 M Oil Hours: 8216 M Brand: FUCHS TITAN SYN MC Grade: 10-40
Diagnosis
Silicon present. Wear appears normal. Advice: Resample at the next service
intervention.

Previously I ran expensive fully synthetic diesel 10w40 with a Toyota filter over 10k mostly during my trip to Mongolia and I got this:

Make: TOYOTA Model:
LANDCRUISER 4.2TD
97 (HDJ80)
System: ENGINE
Form No: W11593942
Sampled: 16/10/10 Received: 20/10/10
Machine Hrs: 152880 M Oil Hours: 10115 M Brand: FUCHS TITAN SYN DIESEL Grade: 10-40
Diagnosis
Wear appears satisfactory. No significant contamination. Advice: Monitor at
the recommended sampling period.

I think I will stick with the Toyota oil filter and cheap 10w40 semi at 6k intervals otherwise I will be wasting my money.

Back