Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

do they do a centre difflock button

iow_bob

Country Flag
north_korea
Had a cdl button on my last 2 x80 series and not got one on my 90 .

I do allot of trailer reversing and it's always easier in low box .

But don't always want centre diff locked in low range .. so I want full control of when the cdl is active ..

So can I get a cdl button and where would it go ?

Not possible I am afraid, the CDL is Mechanically activated with the transfer box lever

Nothing doing I'm afraid. It's an all mechanical set-up and can't be bypassed. Some foreign market cars are different (apparently - according to some ramblings on PradoPoint) and have H-N-L on the transfer lever with a separet CDL, but most are like the UK H-HL-N-LL

Well That's poo ain't it ..

So there's nothing I can do

Well That's poo ain't it ..

So there's nothing I can do

Remove the front prop and run in HL or LL?!

Fit freewheeling front hubs (if such things can be obtained)? You'd disengage the front hubs and run in HL (or LL when you need it), which would drive only the back wheels (drive would be sent to the front axle but not to the wheels, preventing wind-up)

Neither practical really

I have wished for this feature offroad but never while reversing a trailer , might anyone care to explain how it would help ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
For example if I'm reversing my boat onto my drive it's uphill , round a corner and quite heavy so low range makes whole job easier .

If centre diff is locked it can cause wind up and put alot of strain onto components that would not be strained if low range and no difflock

Last edited:
Thanks Bob that makes sense , i was looking at it from an opposite position thinking is the lock supposed to help you keep in a straight line while reversing or something which just wouldn't compute in my mind especially with a short wheel base .

Briefly for straight line work should be ok I would think. Is it practical to get lined up on the driveway, drop into LL, disengage when done and away? It's turning that's the enemy with the centre diff locked but in theory you can't get wind up in a straight line

A lot of 4runners, ect over here (the US) run the H N L transfer case, but come with no CDL so you lose out in that area. If you really wanted to get it to work, you probably could swap the boxes but like I said you'll lose the centre lock. I know for sure that the Lexus GX470 over here in the states has the H N L box, alongside a CDL button too.

Back