Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Do you think this will buff out?

Matt Wright

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
Hi guys

First up, apologies for the silence! Been a whirlwind of things to do after moving back to Cape Town almost 6 months ago! :shock: Time flies when you're living on holiday". Some news and a question from me for this post. Wasn't quite sure where to put it but here goes.

A few weeks ago I was cruising along to visit a friend out in the countryside ie no lights and a B type road. Long story short, I took my silver cruiser down a rather steep cliff, rolled 3 times, through a river and came to a halt on the far side of the bank :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: This = a bad bad accident I am simply lucky to be alive after let alone being able to unbuckle my seat belt, put on my shoes, collect my belongings, do multiple inspections of the vehicle, still ponder why I couldn't get her started and drive out of the gorge I ended up in :( To confirm, Lorien (wife) and new puppy were not in the car, just me, we're all fine (altho I got quite a blast for writing off the silver truck which is Lorien's!)
That's making light of the subject though and it must be said in big bold letters that the Landcruiser and in particular, the 80, must be one of if not the strongest vehicles ever produced. See pictures below and it'll make sense quickly. How did I get in to the mess though!? I was sober as a judge, just had an afternoon nap and was doing a mild 40mph down a slight decline. Light drizzle and some light braking caused the rear to slip out and before I knew it, I was tumbling down the side. No yellow line / space and pitch pitch darkness + who knows what else contributed to it all happening. I'm very happy to be here and experienced all the "things people see during a big crash"!

So, on to the pictures and questions.. Poor, dearly departed Nala, queen of the road. Safely delivered us from London all the way to Cape Town. She is THE BEST TRUCK EVER BUILT and we are very sad to see her go. Big thanks to her for saving my life..

I have been systematically cutting her up (more heartache!) and saving all the good bits. The body was bashed on the roof but she was a lot worse off from the actual recovery by the tow trucks as they're not too picky about how they get the cars out it seems. I took the body to the scrapyard yesterday so 350kg's is gone. I'm left with a badly bent chassis, the axles and engine/gearbox/autobox.

My questions is : How does one start the engine to test that it is in good working order?
I am pretty sure it is given that the engine bay was near perfect - I recovered the aircon grille and radiator!
I have clearly identified both + and - battery points but I am told that I need to find the fuel pump something and then?
Ideally I'd like an idiot's guide to starting her up to test for 30seconds?

I assume something like :
- Disconnect both prop shafts
- The fuel tank is already disconnected but there is diesel in the pipes and the diesel filter so I think enough to start
- Connect both batteries / or will something happen when the second is connected?
- I think though I'd need some kind of ignition function?
---- How do I stop the engine after it starts (important!)
Open to ideas and I really appreciate your help. (Karl, Paul - I believe you know all about this?)
** One major bummer is that the part that attaches the top radiator hose to the radiator broke but it looks like it bolts on to the engine. (better than having the top or bottom end broken) Any thoughts on this? See pics..

Here are the pics. Do not be alarmed. I am ok, just one scratch on my hand and a sore lower back )plus slashes all over my legs from having to climb up a vertical rock face over a story high one handed in the pitch darkness THROUGH THORN TREES. Yes I looked around but there were thorn trees everywhere :( Talk about adding insult to injury!!!)

Ping me any questions both technical and non as I have now stripped an entire vehicle from the start to finish and have learnt a lot! DO not try this at home though!!!

If you look carefully you can see the river I went through - on the roof..
photo 4.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 3.JPG

For some bizarre reason my pics keep posting upside down?! Maybe it's because I'm in the Southern hemisphere..
Click this link and then open each individually. apologies. Took me ages trying to fix it.
http://www.capetowndivers.co.za/LC/Nala/

See you all at Lincomb sometime. So cool to be able to say that! Matt..

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 131
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 126
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 143
Thats a really bad smash. all you should need to do is put a pos feed to the starter and fuel pump then take a screw driver to short the starter out and brum. to turn off take the feed off the fuel pump. it works on cummings b series engine so should be the same in a 12 v engine. what a shame after that kind of trip. We might be coming down to SA in a couple of years to live but i thinking of shipping down.
Stu

wow! Glad you ok Mat, must have been quite scary. Cant help with starting though.

Oh dear - so sorry to see that, Matt. Thank goodness you were able to walk out of it. Where did it happen? Looks a little like Ou Kaapse Weg?

Sorry cant help on the start issue. Time for a 105 4500i now??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thats a really bad smash. all you should need to do is put a pos feed to the starter and fuel pump then take a screw driver to short the starter out and brum. to turn off take the feed off the fuel pump. it works on cummings b series engine so should be the same in a 12 v engine. what a shame after that kind of trip. We might be coming down to SA in a couple of years to live but i thinking of shipping down.
Stu

Thanks :) I'll have a bash tomorrow (just been very nervous about it lurching forward which won't work well for the garage it's in!)
You're stuck with me for a while longer Tony :p

Oh dear - so sorry to see that, Matt. Thank goodness you were able to walk out of it. Where did it happen? Looks a little like Ou Kaapse Weg?
Sorry cant help on the start issue. Time for a 105 4500i now??
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It was on the R317 between Bonnievale and the N2 ie the middle of nowhere.. I still have RUBY! But the 100 is there as an idea. I can't tear myself away from the 80 tho...... PS, 3 week trip to Nam scheduled for September. Join us!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Wow, that was nasty! :shock:

you may lament the passing of Nala, but she saved your life without a doubt. Almost any other car wouldn't have protected you like that. Lucky also that you were on your own. I've had a few close ones and I know that "life flashing by you in a millisecond" sensation. The last one was my wake-up call, not reckless just the need to take even more care. Things can go wrong when you least expect them to. Glad you're OK!

Just make sure its park. a good idea would be take the probs off if your worried.

Glad you are in one piece Mat, so have you bought a lottery ticket yet?

Wow! So glad that you walked away Matt, that was a nasty accident. Shame to see Nala end the road like that, but very glad that she looked after you so well when you went over the cliff. That must have been quite a job to recover.

Shouldn't be difficult to get the engine running with the body off, just needs fuel, power to the starter, the switched ignition on the starter solenoid, and the injector pumps stop solenoid. Removing the power from the stop solenoid will stop the engine. If the truck spent any length of time upside down I'd be tempted to check for oil in the combustion chamber before starting.

Again, glad your ok. I think you may have used one of your nine lives.

Safe travels.

Blooming eck Matt!! To walk away from that is impressive. Glad you're okay.

Thats one heck of an escape.. Good news and pictures like that seldom arrive together.
As for the engine, as above its straight forward to start up a big diesel. The stop solenoid is very important, or at least a very limited fuel supply, which it seems you have. This eliminates the risk of a runaway if it overfuels.. I have had this happen with a tractor rebuild.. failed governor on a vacuum feed pump. had to bail out, luckily it ran out of diesel after 2 minutes.
I would imagine the engine should be fine as it seems to have landed upright so oil past the pistons shouldn't be an issue. If it shows signs of resistance then abort until the head comes off.

Holy poop, that looks terrifying. Glad you're ok, to save up for a new one you could be a salesman for whoever built that snorkel it's still the right shape.

F*ck me Matt,:icon-surprised: how did you get out of that alive? you lucky b*stard, can you predict the lottery numbers for me. :pray: I'm so glad you are OK, even if it's an 80, at the end of the day it's just a car, your life is more important than any piece of metal.

Thanks for the messages guys :) I'm quite happy about the way it all worked out too! I'll let you know how the starting goes ;)

Wow - that's one heck of a lucky escape! :wtf: :icon-cool:

gosh - very nasty. Glad you survived OK, the aftermath looks horrendous.
the 80 saved you.

impressed the snorkel is still standing straight, even though roof is wrecked.

Bloody Hell Matt glad you ok buddy.

How the hell did they get it out from there as it looks like brute force and ignorance.

Back