Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dog type guards and rear storage options?

Bodhi

Country Flag
wales
Hi

Looking for some advice on rear storage and guard options for keeping my luggage from coming forward into the seated area during a crash etc.
I've noticed that a lot of people are making their own. However, I can't weld although willing to give it a go if necessary. What I'm looking for is a full height dog type guard for the rear initially to keep us all safe and then a storage system later on.

I've seen some dog guards on ebay but they want £200!!

So any ideas, if I had a Land Rover it would be a lot easier but are there any suppliers in the UK you can recommend or ??

Cheers

Richie

Knowing the type of cruiser would help.
Series?
year?
curtain/side airbags?
rear A/C?
3rd seat row?

Give me a chance to upload images of mine and I think you have a cheap and easy solution. I bought a proper 80 series one off ebay but then copied half of it to sit on top of my rear storage so I have the option to have the storage box in or out. I welded mine in place but it would be so easy for you to either prepare the bits and get someone to tack it together (10mins work) or you could just bolt it as well.

Cheers it would be great to see your setup, really need to get something sorted asap

Cheers

Richie

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
rear dog guard

Better Late Than Never........

The original Dog Guard is made from a 1" square mesh, 22mm Tube and 8mm round bar which runs the external perimeter of the guard and to which the mesh is welded.

When I made my storage box I recessed two holes into the top and slotted the new 'Half Guard into them which secures it and makes it pretty handy to remove. The materials for maling a half guard and divider came to about £30 most of which was the square mesh which retails for about £23 for an 8x4 sheet. i also used standar 25mm tubing as 22mm wasnt readily available but it still holds the inserts securely.

I used the original gurad as a template and formed the 8mm round bar to match. I then laid the steel mesh on top and welded each bar where it crossed the round bar which also trimmed the excess mesh as the weld burnt through it. I then sprayed it with an epoxy primer and a few coats of satin black.

It does my needs but if you wanted more robust protection then you could look at addition brackets to secure the top of the guard for serious off-roading

The only photos to hand are not that detailed but give you the idea. I it helps I can upload a template of the original dog guard and you could use that as needed. Will also make new pics when im back at home again.

Attachments

• Dog Guard-1-4.jpg
    Dog Guard-1-4.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Dog Guard-1-5.jpg
    Dog Guard-1-5.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Dog Guard-2.jpg
    Dog Guard-2.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 88
If you could upload the template that would be great, cheers.

Dog's seem to like the 80 hey!! ;-)

Richie

Back