Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dorset Newbee & Questions

doodahoops

Country Flag
uk
Hi, for the last month since deciding its time to get a Land Cruiser I have been reading and searching and reading and searching. And in that flip flopping between a 90 & 120. I love the leather comfort and am wondering if the LC4 ATRAC system is solid enough. My plan is to do some light overlanding - Pyrenees / Alps / Norway but keeping the vehicle as light as possible. Immediate mods will be underbody protection & bigger tyres (x1 size), then a 40/50mm suspension lift if required. Most of my mileage will be motorway so comfort is key - on that basis have decided to go LC3 or LC4 which is where I am again looking for guidance - which one...

Having seen the videos in this thread I'm not sure if I need the rear diff lock as the 120's do very well. https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/a-lake-land-jaunt-for-a-90-and-120-twins.135327/

Thanks & Still on the Hunt

One of the 120s 6 years later

Where in Dorset are you from? Not many of us down here but a handful over the border in Devon

Nice - any action shots from outside.
first ones around 5 minutes then the camera goes inside, few more scattered about but you'll have to hunt for them.
120@14
21:15

Last edited:
I’m in Christchurch so the far east
Side. It’s a bit like finding them this way. Sparse on the ground and I’m going to have to travel. If it was easy, it wouldn’t be worth it

Where in Dorset are you from? Not many of us down here but a handful over the border in Devon

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
first ones around 5 minutes then the camera goes inside, few more scattered about but you'll have to hunt for them.
120@14
21:15

Fab. Will have a look. Have you at any stage missed not having a locking rear diff?

Fab. Will have a look. Have you at any stage missed not having a locking rear diff?
No, i have an 80. Im the fat bald one, @trev is the old bald one. He maybe able to answer your question.

Last edited:
Hello Dood & welcome.if it's just trips to the Pyrenees Alps etc.you could probably manage in 2 WD van with enough ground clearance if there wasn't any mud or snow.But a Landcruiser is a much better option , a better all rounder & much more capable in the case of adversity.My 95 came with an inoperative rear locker & it's stayed that way.I work (sometimes) in Forestry & with mud tyres it's never been needed but there's always been something bigger to pull me out.The rest is stock , the only mod is I've taken off the side steps.
90/95s are now long in the tooth but don't suffer as much from the rust of 120s.the 1KZ TE has its issues but maybe it's cheaper to fix than a D4D ??? Maybe that's a question for another thread? My choice (I'm biased) would be a 95.

Back