Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dreamer introducing itself...

Alex Widera

Country Flag
belgium
Hi everyone,

I'm Alex from Brussels, the Belgian capital. I'm actually half German and currently study European Studies in the Netherlands.

After school, I went to Australia for close to ten months. I worked in the South of Sydney for half a year. In the meantime, I bought a Holden Jackaroo and that was to be my first ever 4wheel-drive. With that lovely car, I traveled 35,000 km around Australia, passing all states but Tasmania. I had a wonderful experience, watching the star sky in the endless outback, got to know Straya and lovely people from there as well from all around the world.
Yes, I got stuck big time once, had a few flat tyres but none of this prevented me from getting to the conclusion that I want to do this again. The next time is supposed to be in a Land Cruiser Troopy (or 70 series in Europe, if I'm correct). I want to travel the world with that one before it's too late (combustion engine bans etc.).

Of course this is many years off. I need to finish my studies first and want to find a job that pays well enough. Possibly, there's gonna be other things to take care of first. However, my dream is reality. I want to buy a 2nd hand model somewhere in Europe, preferably in Belgium or neighbouring countries. I want, with some help, get it ready myself. 99,9% of the skills needed for that I do not have, but I want to learn them. Some self-teaching, and getting taught. Australia gave me some knowledge, but little practical skills.

Many things are not clear to me, for instance how and where it even is possible to buy a Land Cruiser, especially considering that the model I desire doesn't even get sold in Europe anymore (as far as I know). Additionally, I wouldn't even know if that type of car is gonna be allowed on the streets at all (yes I know, a V8 might not be the cleanest of all cars...). I see them very, very rarely on the streets.

So this is why I joined the group and I hope that people will tell me about their experiences!

Nice to meet you all and safe travels to everybody!

Best wishes,

Alex

What a great intro, Alex, you've certainly got the "bug" and I wish you every success fulfilling your dream.

You've chosen a difficult truck for Europe, but who knows...

Welcome aboard!

great intro and welcome from France :) An older 4.2 n/a troopy is do - able in Europe, there are quite a few around, no doubt Germany would be your best bet to get a 'legal' newer one? Good luck :)

Hi Alex and welcome to this most friendly forum. You've come to the right place for help and advice.
There's Troopies to be had in the UK that get imported from the Netherlands with the 6 cylinder 4.2 as mentioned above. Many are already set up as campers of sorts.

Fantastic intro btw, looking forward to hearing about your purchase, build and travels before the beaurocrats ruin things for us all.

I've travelled a bit in Belgium and it is one of my favourite countries to be in with some fantastic friendly people.

Best wishes

Richard

hi Alex,
welcome to the club!
great intro!
the troopy is becoming a rare animal in Belgium, but now and then they pop up in the ads. If you buy one that is already registered in Belgium, it's just like buying any other 2nd hand car.
consider that when you live in the 'brussels hoofdstedelijk gewest', you can't use it as a daily driver anymore because of the lez. I'm . not sure about the situation in the Netherlands.
If you're interested to have a look at my troopy, feel free to contact me so I can point out the things to pay attention to when you start hunting for one.
I live north of Antwerp.

hi Alex,
welcome to the club!
great intro!
the troopy is becoming a rare animal in Belgium, but now and then they pop up in the ads. If you buy one that is already registered in Belgium, it's just like buying any other 2nd hand car.
consider that when you live in the 'brussels hoofdstedelijk gewest', you can't use it as a daily driver anymore because of the lez. I'm . not sure about the situation in the Netherlands.
If you're interested to have a look at my troopy, feel free to contact me so I can point out the things to pay attention to when you start hunting for one.
I live north of Antwerp.
I would love to meet one day, some weekends are not too busy. How can I get in contact with you?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
great intro and welcome from France :) An older 4.2 n/a troopy is do - able in Europe, there are quite a few around, no doubt Germany would be your best bet to get a 'legal' newer one? Good luck :)

Thank you! J'imagine queen la Dordogne est magnifique pour du 4x4 ;)

Back