Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dripping oil from hose.. next to oil sump plug?

StoneDkr32

Country Flag
denmark
Hi all.

I just changes oil and filter on my Landcruiser 3.0 TD 1999.

When I got home.. around 10 km, I saw oil from this little hose dripping once every minute.

What is this? why is there oil coming out?

11040791_10153147283389281_1907132232_n.jpgBest Regards,
Steen H

I *think* that is from the oil catcher on the oil filter - i.e. catches the excess oil when you remove the oil filter and drips it down to the sump plug, so that it can be caught in the same container.

I don't have a 3.0TD but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to confirm.

So everytime I change oil on my car, I can expect this little mess in my driveway unless I take a bigger trip from the shop and home? :)

No, not really.

I would remove the sump plug and once the oil in the sump has dropped out, remove the filter and go and make a brew. When you come back in 10 minutes, you shouldn't have much dripping from both the sump and the oil catcher tube. I would wipe round the oil catcher with a rag to collect any excess oil, before fitting your new filter and sump plug.

If you're changing it yourself you could make sure the bowl under the filter is wiped clean and even spray a bit of brake cleaner or similar down the hole to flush it through, I've never had that problem and I only drive around 6km to get home.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I didn't clean it before I fitted the new filter.. but it had 5-10 min. to drip off.. well. Nothing serious and thats great news! I have never seen this before... cool feature I must say, no more spilling all over the engine block when removing filter :)

Thx all.

I was confused like you at first and then discovered what it really was. Excellent thinking by Toyota on that small but very effective piece! Normally I'll replace the filter while the oil is draining so any excess falls in the oil pan below as well.

Ye, well I had some serious problems getting my filter off :/ Had to drive 50 km to get tool made for that kind of stuff actually, so by the time I got it off... and installed a new one 1 min after.

I will take the car for a longer ride tomorrow and by that time it should be drained..

Thx for all the answers!!

if it continues to drip, then your filter is leaking or is not properly sealed .!! so keep an eye on it.!!

Hello anybody. I am so glad I saw this thread. While crawling around underneath mine today checking things out, I noticed this pesky drip of oil coming out of the tube next to sump plug, as shown above.
I popped onto the forum to find out, which is how I ended up here. After reading this, I went back outside to check the filter out, and it was a little loose, hence the drip.
It is now tightened back up. Cheers to the above folk.

Back