Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

drive shaft

al/c

Country Flag
uk
i had a caliper seize on the front the other day, decided to replace along with discs and pads. done the drivers side but when i got to the passengers side i found that it had been butchered once i removed the dust cap. no c clip but instead they have welded the shaft to the hub cap.:shock: so i think i will replace it all or can i just do the outer shaft and cap. looks like rough trax have it all in stock or other options please.

I suppose you mean drive flange when you say cap. Welding to the dust cap doesn't make sense. BTW, it's not the first welding I've heard of.
You should be able to change just the outer shaft and flange, if there is no other damage. But if the CV has done a few miles, I would change the whole CV shaft thingy. Less work too. Remember to check C-clip thickness when fitting, although 2.2 mm seems to be the standard.

With work like that done, I would examine all the parts of the hub and spindle carefully. You might need new cones, nuts and studs as well. And of course clean and repack the wheel bearings, and inspect and lube the spindle bearing while you're there.

i think that,s what i,ll do. better get one ordered then along with a new flange cap and gasket. the cones and studs seem ok at first inspection but we will see when i grind the welds off. thanks.:thumbup:.

decided to order an outer shaft and a flange cover plus gasket should be here tomorrow, then i can replace the disc and pads at the same time. hope it,s nice weather on friday:icon-biggrin:

Back