Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Driveline Clonk (rear diff?)

sim303

Country Flag
uk
Whilst I was scrabbling around under the back axle of the Cruiser this morning, I thought I'd try turning the rear prop by hand to check for play, worn UJs etc. The transfer box and gearbox were both in neutral, so the front end should have been free to move. As such, I found I was able to turn the shaft to-and-fro, with a distinct amount of play before it was blocked by the rear-diff in either direction. How much free shaft rotation should one expect? I have noticed when driving that there can be a noticable "clonk" when coming off the power and onto the overrun. Worn diff? Needs new bearings?

Thanks!

Sim

I thought I had killed either a diff or the transfer box last weekend but it turned out to be the drive plate on the end of the front axle. the splines were finished.

Changed that and it drives like a rolls Royce again
20170508_180029.jpg

Whilst I was scrabbling around under the back axle of the Cruiser this morning, I thought I'd try turning the rear prop by hand to check for play, worn UJs etc. The transfer box and gearbox were both in neutral, so the front end should have been free to move. As such, I found I was able to turn the shaft to-and-fro, with a distinct amount of play before it was blocked by the rear-diff in either direction. How much free shaft rotation should one expect? I have noticed when driving that there can be a noticable "clonk" when coming off the power and onto the overrun. Worn diff? Needs new bearings?

Thanks!

Sim

Unless you know what you're doing, it's best to have this checked by someone who does.

Yes, there should be rotational play, but not too much. Trying to advise in words is not easy.

The problem could be the bearing, it could be the thrust spacer, it could be a number of different things or all of them.

Excessive bearing play might show by trying to lift the shaft at the diff end, it shouldn't show any movement up and down.

Check the UJs, change them if there's any play, grease them.

Live with the diff, or have it checked out, I don't suggest you messing with it if you aren't clued up.

Thanks. You're right, I wouldn't attempt to remedy it it myself - I don't have the equipment for pressing bearing or adjusting preload etc. If I can find a reputable place that can offer exchanges at a bearable price (assuming I do indeed have a problem) then I might go down that route.

if you have a thunk, you may want to try lubricating the uj and the driveshaft, it should be done periodically as maintenance.

Back