Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Driver's Door Wiring Repair:

BobMurphy

Country Flag
scotland
I was out with the family and a couple of horses in a trailer with my '98 LWB '90-Series' (1KZ-TE, Manual).

Driving down a Motorway slipway I went to lower the driver's window - It moved about 4 inches and stuck :icon-mad.

This is a common and well-documented problem with these cars. Someone lets the door swing in the wind and thereafter the steel door check strap hits and bends the window channel.

I have fixed this before and I had a new check strap ready to go in.

I won't go into this as there are threads here and elsewhere. However, while I had the Driver's door card off I decided to investigate a long-standing problem.

My driver's door mirror has never worked via the switch on the dash. However when I removed the mirror assembly a couple of years ago I could get it to operate on all functions when attached to a battery.

The passenger door mirror works on the button so it appeared that the switch was OK.

There is a kick plate in the driver's footwell. This just unclips when drawn back and reveals a load of multi-plugs. There is a blue one and a white one that connect the door to the car's wiring loom.

I removed the entire driver's door wiring harness and started investigating. I found five broken wires in the rubber bellows that sits below the lower door hinge.

DSCN4191_zpsj7tiyvez.jpg

I stripped the wrapping back and moved the bellows as far from the break as possible. Then I soldered in new pieces of wire where the harness passes through the bellows. I didn't want a soldered joint being flexed as the door opens.

DSCN4190_zpsrhzibm8p.jpg

DSCN4193_zpsllyj8qkd.jpg

The soldered joints were protected by Shrink Tubing.

DSCN4196_zpsohpqtbon.jpg

This harness is now 17 years old and is a bit hard. I took care when re-wrapping it and feeding the result back through the door and car body.

All connectors were sprayed with 'Servisol' Electrical Contact Cleaner/lubricant.

After putting it all back together I now have a fully-functioning mirror for the first time . . And the window winds down as intended (until someone lets the door swing again ).

No Rocket Science here, just a pointer for anyone with odd electrical problems concerning the door-mounted functions.

Bob.

Nice write up Bob, I'm sure others will need to do something like this in future.

I had some broken wires their a few years back, and they were important ones for the door solenoid!

Back