Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Driver's side kick panel mystery switch

joan

Country Flag
united_states
Ok so my landcruiser (1996, 80 series) was given to me by my mom, which was given to her by my grandmother. All 225k miles on it have been driven by me and my family. Yesterday I found this switch in it that I cannot for the life of me figure out what it does. It doesn't look or seem to be stock, at least I can't seem to find anything about it on the internet that says so or otherwise. Its literally just a little on/off switch, no other label. Can somebody please tell me if they have a clue as to what it might be? It's not an engine killswitch, not a fuel pump killswitch, it's not a diff lock thing, it doesn't mess with any of my lights outside or inside the car, it does absolutely nothing from what I can tell and its really bugging me that I can't figure it out lol Screenshot_20210328-012614_Video Player.jpg

As you say it does not look stock, but if you have not found anything that it does,first check if there are any wires on the back of
the switch, then if there is trace where they go to !
But there could be so many things it is for, could be to do with rear Fog light,(if there is a fog light does it come on? and then does the switch turn it off??) if there is a towbar something to do with the wiring, its a matter of keep looking I am afraid

It's clearly hidden away out of plain sight but still accessible to the person who needs to use it so it's not going to be lights, diffs or anything like that. Some kind of anti-theft device would be my best guess. Perhaps now redundant. it's entirely homespun (Radioshack) so you're not going to find anything on the internet about it.

I'm with Chris thinking a very simple kill switch perhaps to prevent someone who won't accept they are too old to drive from going for a spin , it won't start is a somewhat gentler way of forbidding it .

Unscrew it i bet its no longer connected to anything .

Back