Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

drivers window motor

landcruiserjohnb

Hi Guys
My cruiser failed its annual test because of the driver window not working properly.
I have tried silicone in the seals and had a guy look at it.
it s so slow now and will refuse to go up at times.
If i put a new motor and regulator in, will this fix the problem or am I just throwing money away.
Would it be worth considering replacing the wiring or is that possible at all.
Just off topic
The annual road tax now on the cruiser over here is 1700 euro which is forcing more and more off the road and there are plans to put it up by 10% per year for the next few.
Also if its a newer Cruiser it would be around 2300euro.

Where are you? But it sounds like the old cruiser problem, needs new window rubbers. A short term fix, that some times works, is to remove the rubbers and give them a good wash. In your case would it pass with no rubber fitted? Just to get it passed.

A common fault on 80's. The window rubbers wear and harden with age and impede the widows progress, especially if they're glogged with shite. Also the contacts in the window switches can go HR and cause the stop/start symptom. I've experienced this. I'd do 3 things in this order:

1. Check and clean up the contacts in the switches in the driver's armrest. Use an oilstone or some very fine wet & dry paper with some switch cleaner.

2. Clean out and silicone-lube the widow rubber. This will certainly help in the short term but if the rubber's badly worn it'll eventually happen again.

3. If the above doesn't help check the motor plug connections in the loom in the door and finally the motor itself.

Also whip the door card off & check the guide rollers in the bottom track, they sieze solid, plenty of grease & lube everything else that moves.
Various451.jpg

Ditto what Joinerman said - I had this samme problem on 3 of my 4 windows. They'd all seized up with a sticky gunk. The cold doesn't help either. Once we crossed in to Egypt, tit was like a new truck again!? Heat certainly helps the rubbers..

Another thing is water lays in the track & when it's really cold it freezes hence window won't move, i drilled some drain holes in mine.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
landcruiserjohnb said:
Hi Guys
My cruiser failed its annual test because of the driver window not working properly.
I have tried silicone in the seals and had a guy look at it.
it s so slow now and will refuse to go up at times.
If i put a new motor and regulator in, will this fix the problem or am I just throwing money away.
Would it be worth considering replacing the wiring or is that possible at all.
Just off topic
The annual road tax now on the cruiser over here is 1700 euro which is forcing more and more off the road and there are plans to put it up by 10% per year for the next few.
Also if its a newer Cruiser it would be around 2300euro.

Where are you based landcruiserjohn i'm in dublin if your really stuck. no expert but handy with most things :)

I just had the rear window get pulled out of the channel clamp last night actually so will be getting into the motor contact clean/replace window rubber/check and lube routine to sort.

Hi Guys
Just wondering if as it seems its a common issue is there an after market motor that is better than the original motor stronger

its not normally a weak motor issue

all of the common solutions are listed in this post so far, and in order i would attend to them:

replacing window rubbers makes a big difference.

cleaning contacts in door switch

check and lube bottom channel (water can and does freeze in there)

then brushes in motor itself

changed my drivers side rubber last weekend. before it was uber juddery and jumped out of the clamp.

now its like a new truck. brilliant that its just the rubbers!

speak to ian rubie :D

Hi Guys
Well the cruiser passed the test that it failed 1 month ago but just by a hair.
They failed it again because the window would not go up for the actual test even though I spent some time cleaning the rubbers/ cleaning the window/ greasing the bits in the door frame.
Just by luck I tried the window just after the test and because it was going up showed them and they passed it.
So have ordered new rubbers and hope they will do the trick.
but if i have to get a new motor is there an after market one that is stronger than the original

Back