Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Driveshaft greasing

AdventureWagon

Supporter
Country Flag
australia
So I got hold of a grease gun, and tried it out on my trailer's jockey wheel, but it was a bit of a failure - the grease fitting broke off when I tried to get the grease gun off. Now I don't really care about the jockey wheel, but I was contemplating greasing my 90 series's chassis with it, but have got cold feet now. Is it always hard to get grease guns off grease fittings and has anyone had trouble with it greasing Toyota drivetrains?

Image of the broken off grease fitting attached. Just would hate for this to happen on the Toyota.

Attachments

• 20200415_110528(1).jpg
    20200415_110528(1).jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 43
That nipple in the pic looks like a cheap old press fit job, they often come out, You won't have the same problem with a threaded Toyota one

I like Abnox Wanner grease guns, very reliable and well made, Swiss made not Chinese.

I have three Abnox Waner guns, one with CV grease for front drive shafts, with needle nose adaptor, one for prop shafts, and one for general purpose use.

My (very old) grease gun has hydraulic jaws that grip the nipple. To remove it there is a small handwheel that releases the pressure in the system. I thought that was a common feature - does yours have something similar ?

Grease nipples normally unscrew, I suspect all Toyota ones do.

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My (very old) grease gun has hydraulic jaws that grip the nipple. To remove it there is a small handwheel that releases the pressure in the system. I thought that was a common feature - does yours have something similar ?

Bob.
(Very old) is good :character-oldtimer:

I've greased the props numerous times lying on my back with a hand pump grease gun. Once the chuck is seated on the nipple then there's no problem at all. You won't break a nipple off a UJ by hand. Heck there's grease nipples on the front axle of my tractor that are 65 years old and still ok

What make is your gun was it something cheap hoping it'll do the job if so throw it in the bin Sealey do some decent entry level kit AK48 & AK49 or try local motor factors

Having spend a life time of greasing machines the best small gun is the John Deere pistol grip, just my opinion. Mine is not green but silver

Attachments

• E6031A1D-8825-45AB-8FEA-FAD80E1F6B65_4_5005_c.jpeg
    E6031A1D-8825-45AB-8FEA-FAD80E1F6B65_4_5005_c.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 40
I broke one and couldn't work out what size i needed so bought an assortment of stainless nipples , handy to have at hand because you can't avoid greasing just because .

Before the days of auto greasers on combines a bad grease gun would ruin your day before it had got started, we are talking 40+ nipples every morning and some twice a day. as Shayne said have an assortment of spare nipples and a spare gun tip

Not that it helps with the nipple problem but I have a Air operated Grease gun, saves you the problem of pumping it while
under the car

What make is your gun was it something cheap hoping it'll do the job if so throw it in the bin Sealey do some decent entry level kit AK48 & AK49 or try local motor factors
They missed a trick there, should of been the AK47..

I've long hung up the manual grease guns and use one off the compressor. I'm getting even more bone idle and will eventually get a dewalt cordless number..

Thanks for the replies guys, the gun is from a local car supplies place = this is it Alemlube - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]. Good idea about the spares, makes it much easier if they are threaded, and also good to know that they are probably much stronger than the cruddy jockey wheel one.

Would like to get one of the automatic ones, I'm currently trying (and failing) to earn good husband points to get an impact gun first though.

That nipple in the pic looks like a cheap old press fit job, they often come out, You won't have the same problem with a threaded Toyota one
Good to know - yes after all I suppose if it's good enough for a caravan manufacturer it's probably questionable!

Bob.
I haven't noticed anything like this on there - just a bleed screw which I have used once to get rid of an airlock. Guess you could use that for it though.

Thanks for the replies guys, the gun is from a local car supplies place = this is it Alemlube - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]. Good idea about the spares, makes it much easier if they are threaded, and also good to know that they are probably much stronger than the cruddy jockey wheel one.

Would like to get one of the automatic ones, I'm currently trying (and failing) to earn good husband points to get an impact gun first though.
Just get both, bollocks to it..

@chapel gate You know I just had a great idea - hardware/tool stores should give an option to appear as 'bank fee' or 'amazon cosmetics' or similar on credit card statements. We'd be set then.

Careful now. This could be dangerous. Imagine the scenario "What's this Amazon Cosmetics? Where are they? I certainly didn't get them so who did?"

Back