Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dropped kerb price

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Now have permission from the council for a single vehicle dropped kerb, they want just over £1000 to do it, they say there are no difficulties like water mains etc.
Will be getting some quotes from approved contractors as well but didn't know if that was a dear price as never had one done before.

Cheap I'd say! A friend got rushed £1600. No option to get a second quote though, was council only.

On the day, they then said they did not realise there was a street lamp in the way. That too had to be moved at her expense. :o

Doesn't sound too pricey really. Whoever you get to do the work make sure you get some feedback on them first, a good place to ask for this if there's no feedback website for your area is a popular local builders merchants, anyone who works there should be happy to give you their opinion of them.

Jim.

Used to get this done for me all the time. How they do it over here is you pay a type of bond to the council in case the job is done badly. When they approve it you get your bond back. Very simple Idea really. Not like councils to do something so sensible.

I don't think I ever paid more than £500 so I would price around. Wee buns to any road man.

I've been told that the council have to undertake this sort of work round our way... :thumbdown:

We had the drive tarmacced last year & he wouldn't fill in a hollow on the pavement just in front of the drive... So now we have a nice tarmacced drive with a constant puddle at the end of it... :roll:

The whole council system needs tearing down... :think:

The coucil have said that they can do it or i can use my own contractor as long as they are on the coucils list of approved contractors for planning etc or if i use my own choice the council will have to inspect it and put it right at my cost if it is done wrong.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What about just driving up the kerb and into your drive/parking space? Provided the council paint yellow lines on the road, no-one should park in front.
I know it's not very elegant but £1000+ is a lot of money just remove a kerb, remove some paving and re-tar... :roll:

Paul said:
The council have said that they can do it or i can use my own contractor as long as they are on the councils list of approved contractors for planning etc or if i use my own choice the council will have to inspect it and put it right at my cost if it is done wrong.

I had mine done a few years ago, Contacted the council and asked if a problem, they sent a guy up to look at it (as said to see if there was any problems) A couple of days later I got a letter saying every thing was fine and could either let them do it at £250, or I could get my own contractor, and he quoted me £150, so I asked my contractor to do it, but the best part of the job, the council was doing some work just down the road on the kerb's so my contractor dug out the old ones, and went and had a quite word with the council men, and that afternoon they came put the dropped kerb, and then tarmacked the footpath.

So I think the looser was the council !

Radiotwo

Had ours done about a year ago and with a private contractor (for cash) it was £780.

He did the bond and the public liability insurance bit.

Back