Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

E.G.B. Emergency Grab Bag

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
Guys,

I know many of you travel and some do extensive overland trips. I assume most if not all have an EGB... for that "just in case" moment. (depending on your destination and countries of travel obviously)

I carry a waterproof EGB that is checked and re-packed before each trip, placed in an easily located position and never opened or touched until return. I can grab it and leave the truck to its peril if necessary. I was discussing this with a fellow traveller I met in Angola, and was very interested to see how our ideas of what went into an EGB differed.

So what do you think should be in an EGB, and if you carry one, what's in yours?

Passport(s), a few emergency contact numbers + close family numbers, debit/credit card, some local currency are always kept around my waist in a money type belt. I learnt this after my crash in Spain where everything went out the window, we were left with nothing more than the clothes we were wearing.

Never really had an 'emergency grab bag' as I'm not sure what else I would put in it. I guess a small rucksack type bag could have a few clothes, painkillers, tooth brush etc in but I wouldn't class those as emergency items.

spot gen 3
cash ( dollars)
card for cash
map + compass
one of my 6" very sharp knifes
my fire starter
cotton
lighter
some wire for snares
1st aid kit
emergency blanket
and a emergency cover for a tent

never opened or touched until return.
Never thought of doing that. Thought more of a "here's my handy bag" but I guess you could deplete what is in there and then suddenly need it.

Hello, in our house we have two " go bags" nearly identical except for a few feminine items, here goes
:- laminated copies of passports, driving licences, and other essential ID documents,
Small amount of cash plus valid credit cards
I litre bottle of water
I half bottle whisky/ brandy
Very tiny emergency stove fuel and lighter/ matches
Dried tea, coffee, cup of soup etc
I army ration pack,
1 set underwear/ socks
Cup ( useable on stove) knife/ fork / spoon
Survival blanket
Sweets
My bag has a spare fully charged phone, need to get another for the other bag.
Can't carry much more, I live on a flood plane, so it is a real possibility they may be needed, maybe I should add a life jacket, anyway, local authority recommends a "go bag" but makes no suggestion of what to put in it
Suggested additions welcome
The bags have long handles and tiny wheels like a luggage bag but also have straps like a knapsack, for easy carry,
When we go adventuring we only have one bag ( a different type) with all the essentials which we keep with us all the time,
Best regards, Bill Westley

We have a bugout bag at home. Usual stuff, papers, some money, some emergency stuff, contact details, phone and chargers and a couple of medical bits. Used to be a small 1kg bag. Has grown substantially with kids stuff as well.

The aim is to bug out, and survive for 72hrs in a city or outdoors. For relatively easy interpretation of 'survive'.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
he aim is to bug out, and survive for 72hrs in a city or outdoors. For relatively easy interpretation of 'survive'.

We have witnessed so many burnt out trucks in the bush, the owners losing everything and on 2 sad occasions their lives as well. Water, the biggest issue, 72 hours @ 1l per day abs.min water..also don't forget the salt!!

Vehicle catches fire miles from civilisation, you're going to need more than just papers and money.
We vacuum shrink each item to reduce space requirement along with a sealed medikit that also contains a general antivenom ampules (there is some debate if these are indeed effective as the vial applications need to significantly large to be effective ), but it gives peace of mind.

I just take swambo because she has all the answers , i can picture it now "i'm sorry love but the avalanche has blocked our escape - the river is flooding and we will be under water in 10 minutes - we have ran out of fuel and we are surrounded by zombies"

She would roll her eyes at me and say well hurry up and sort it out !

:confusion-shrug:

I carry a 'man bag' with me at all times with the usual stuff, reading glasses, sun glasses, keys phone, diabetes kit, both the car and van have a first aid kit and at minimum 1.5 litre bottles of water ALWAYS.

When venturing off road:

EGB:

First aid kit.
1.5 L water.
High carb snacks
Diabetes supplies
Small thermos for meds submerged in a further half a litre of cold water
Glucose tablets.
Fire starting tin
Whistle
Mobile phone (now with mapping software)
Change of clothes
Waterproof jacket.
Compass
Small plastic (light blue but would prefer orange) tarpaulin.
Nylon cord.
Multi knife.
Two small LED torches.

Can't think of what else is in the 'rucky', and there is a point where you end up carrying the kitchen sink. Might invest in one of those tiny jet boil cookers.

I think for the climate I live in and ease you can find yourself isolated, and given I often go out solo, I let friends know roughly where I am going, add this to an expected return time, and as I have a rep for punctuality (read OCD) they know there may be an issue if I have not 'reported in' at an agreed time.

I am thinking car broken down or damaged and undriveable, broken leg whatever, tarp and cord for tent giving shade and protection from rain, rare here but when it comes down, it really comes down. Perhaps no mobile signal, so reckoning on a search finding me within 24 hours. Rarely cold here to be life threatening so not worried about hot drinks or food (miss me cuppa tea though), for me more about keeping blood sugars right, no big deal immediately but could be a problem within circa 24 hours or more.

So the ability to walk out if need be or survive injury until found.

I guess we all hope we never need to use the EGB but it does give an element of security.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
I've a 20ltr waterproof drysac which can slot inside my backpack and is kept clipped to the rear of my headrest, so I can quickly reach behind, unclip and go, if needs be.

I put in there:

- Photocopies of all ID/vehicle paperwork (originals kept in the vehicle safe)
- Paper maps of regions travelling through
- Maglite
- USB headtorch
- Mini fold-out solar panel
- Opinel knife
- Mora knife
- Small sharpening stone
- Leatherman
- Fire stik
- Secondary fire starter kit
- Wire
- Folding bowsaw
- Billy can
- 1ltr Stanley thermos
- Small first aid kit
- Two emergency blankets
- Small tarp
- Cord
- 110dB whistle
- Small 10x 25mm binoculars
- Sunglasses (wraparound)
- Silva compass
- Sawyer water purifier
- Waterproof notebook and pencil

I'll be looking to add a sat phone to the list at some point soon too.

I also always pack a couple of water bottles and clothing in the truck just behind the front seats, so I can grab them quickly if necessary, and I always wear a robust analogue watch as a matter of course.

Owen

EDIT - forgot to add a couple of small food packs, the standard, slow release energy, etc

Hello, in our house we have two " go bags" nearly identical except for a few feminine items, here goes
:- laminated copies of passports, driving licences, and other essential ID documents,
Small amount of cash plus valid credit cards
I litre bottle of water
I half bottle whisky/ brandy
Very tiny emergency stove fuel and lighter/ matches
Dried tea, coffee, cup of soup etc
I army ration pack,
1 set underwear/ socks
Cup ( useable on stove) knife/ fork / spoon
Survival blanket
Sweets
My bag has a spare fully charged phone, need to get another for the other bag.
Can't carry much more, I live on a flood plane, so it is a real possibility they may be needed, maybe I should add a life jacket, anyway, local authority recommends a "go bag" but makes no suggestion of what to put in it
Suggested additions welcome
The bags have long handles and tiny wheels like a luggage bag but also have straps like a knapsack, for easy carry,
When we go adventuring we only have one bag ( a different type) with all the essentials which we keep with us all the time,
Best regards, Bill Westley
May i ask why the whisky bottle is only half full?

I really like these posts.

Some options to perm your own EGB list, tailored to suit the type of trip, climate, and persona (e.g. brandy instead of whisky:lol:)...

I guess a sat phone makes sense, but only if you are really on the road long enough and away from civilised environs long enough. Otherwise a battery bank of a suiteable size might be an option.

Interesting thread and an EGB is certainly something I've been thinking about a lot lately as I build my first overland vehicle. :icon-biggrin:

One thing I will be adding to mine when I put it together though, is something I havent seen anyone else include and thats clear plastic bags.

They will take up very little space and are essential for making solar stills with, which could be the difference between life and death if you have no drinking water left. :think:

The hospital that I work at uses really strong, clear plastic bags for rubbish which are about a meter long which I'm going to use in mine, I think they will be perfect. :)

Back