Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Early or late 80 LSD?

Eurasiaoverland

Country Flag
brunei
Firstly, I'm aware that Toyota factory LSDs have a pretty woeful reputation, but I want to run a factory unit.

I see two generations of Toyota 80 series LSD (maybe there are more):

An earlier type (1992-1997) with 8 thrust washers (black tectured plates) and 6 clutch discs (shiny toothed discs)
A later type (1997-1999) with 6 thrust washers and 4 clutch discs.

Now I would have thought that the earlier type, with more frictional contact area between the plates (because there are more of them) would be the more effective. But, this was the 1990s where some 'developments' in the Landcruiser were actually improvements.

Can anyone compare the effectiveness, longevity of the two LSDs?

For reference, I am in Asia and used to seeing JDM and General market vehicles. The above might not hold for European versions.

Thanks

EO

I have no experience with Toyota LSD's however, I would simply go with the later version. To be honest I would be more worried about getting the correct ratio differential, a number of variations exist.

Regards

Dave

A bit of back story - I was sold a 60 series rear LSD, which has turned out to be a 60 series housing, ring gear and pinion with a late 80 series diff carrier. I have all new washers and clutches to rebuild it, but am wondering whether I prefer to run it as-is, get it machined out to take an extra clutch and washer on each side, or look for a different differential. Ratios are not an issue, it's easy to swap over the ring gear to the ratio I want.

I'd love to think that the later incarnation was an improvement, but in my view late 90s/early 00s is where things started to go downhill with the Landcruiser as they moved towards comfort, emissions, safety, cost cutting etc, so I am not convinced that just because they changed something, it would be to improve its function.

If I think about it in an engineering sense, there are two variables at play here on the effectiveness of the LSD - the amount of frictional resistance to turning and the clamping force on the plates. The design with fewer plates would have a lower frictional area but a comparatively greater share of the same spring pressure. How the two variable play against each other is not obvious to me, so I it would be great to hear from someone who can compare the two in real life. But I guess on a UK/Europe focused forum there might not be much LSD experience here.

From the diagrams I have seen, the Nissan Patrol LSDs, which are meant to be far superior to the Toyota units, have fewer plates, but a different design with what looks to me to be a better spring mechanism.

Cheers

EO

Back