Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

earth fault?

moggy1968

sometimes (increasingly) when I start my HJ60 the fuel sedimenter and battery charge light come on. Also the voltage output drops to about half way on the gauge rather than the usual 3/4. After a while they both go off (always together) and the voltage picks up to normal.

I presume this is an earth fault but any clues where to start with looking?

sometimes (increasingly) when I start my HJ60 the fuel sedimenter and battery charge light come on. Also the voltage output drops to about half way on the gauge rather than the usual 3/4. After a while they both go off (always together) and the voltage picks up to normal.

I presume this is an earth fault but any clues where to start with looking?
Sounds more like your alternator Moggy. Check belt is not slipping, then pull the small wire connector off and check for corrosion, clean and refit. If these are ok, then it is probably brushes. They are easy to change I believe.

I did wonder about the alternator, but then why does the sedimenter light come on at the same time? It used to be on start up when there was a lot of moisture in the atmosphere, but now it's getting more common.

I did wonder about the alternator, but then why does the sedimenter light come on at the same time? It used to be on start up when there was a lot of moisture in the atmosphere, but now it's getting more common.
Don't know is the answer. Do you mean the water separator in the base of the fuel filter? If so it may need draining or there may be a loose or corroded connection somewhere. Check all the plugs associated with it as they probably get parted and I have seen seals get damaged and let moisture in on things like this. Bottom line is it looks to me like alternator first and maybe a secondary problem on your sedimenter.

I know on a mk1 Rav4 auto that the gearbox temp and engine oil pressure lamps come on along with battery and engine management lamps when the alternator fails, so probably something like the sedementer and charge light share a common circuit in the event of the alternator failing on the 60?

I know on a mk1 Rav4 auto that the gearbox temp and engine oil pressure lamps come on along with battery and engine management lamps when the alternator fails, so probably something like the sedementer and charge light share a common circuit in the event of the alternator failing on the 60?
That was my first thought. I would be inclined to see to the alternator first and if the sedimenter light persists, see to that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would check the alternator too, my 100 put on all sorts lamps when the alternator failed.
Also my Toyota Dyna lit up the dash when the alternator failed.
Check the fan belt as the alternator works hardest just after a start up and may slip untill the battery level increases and the load decreases.
Some people have had crusty connections or worn brushes that can be sorted so have a quick look before buying a new unit and have a poke around with a multi meter to see whats going on with the charging system.
The water trap indicator is just an open or close switch so can be easily checked, open the loom plug to put the lamp out
Hope this helps

thanks for the feedback guys, charge coming off is good and the belt is tensioned OK.
Might be paying a call to Mr lomas! I could do with a spare alternator anyways.

Well, I had a jiggle about with the electrical connections to the alternator, and at the moment all looks good:dance::thumbup:

the sedimenter light on my bj46 comes on when I switch on the contact and goes out when the engine starts and the alternator works.
so like al the other posters : check alternator :)

Just had the same issue and after fannying about with draining the sedimenter and checking out the charge lamp relay, found the alternator needed a rebuild. Its back on now and warning lights have gone off and charging back up to 29v moggy. Decoded to replace both batteries too with winter looming.

Back