Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Easter Sunday Drive - and others too!

TALAMAN

Country Flag
cyprus
First proper drive with the Mrs aboard. When I say Easter in the title, I mean Easter in the UK! Easter here in Cyprus is next weekend.

Started in a Taverna for a good breakfast, great view of the Evrotou Dam.
Dam_from_taverna.jpg

Then we drove to Latchi on the North Western tip of the island and cut inland to cross over the Akamas National park. We drove over the spine meeting a few 4x4's and ATV's going in the opposite direction. Then drove back down to the coast.

2._Track_to_sea.jpg

Bimbled along in the direction of Coral Bay but deviated and found a nice and very private beach where we got the chairs out for a cuppa - still stuffed from breakfast :hushed:

3_private_beach_-1.jpg

4._Private_beach_2.jpg

Then on the way home we came to the last beach which is pretty close to civilisation and so a bit busier.

5._Beach_at_AKAMAS.jpg

We then turned off the main track and went back up into the hills a little before heading for home. It is so nice and green at the moment, recent rains have kept the greenery. The last image shows an olive grove in two months time everything will be the colour of sand! I mentioned we met a few 4x4's near the end, we also met quite a few small saloons!! They were hire cars and were breaking the terms of their hire contract which stipulates they are NOT to drive off the tarmac! never buy an ex hire car in Cyprus!

6._Olive_groves.jpg

"B.F.T." was brilliant and I was surprised at just how comfortable it was off road. After my Samurai, it certainly deserves the Land Cruiser name!

Thanks for looking.

Why is the sky all blue? I think these pictures have been photoshopped. Where's all the rain? Come on, fess up Geoff.

Why is the sky all blue? I think these pictures have been photoshopped. Where's all the rain? Come on, fess up Geoff.

HaHa! I sent a friend the image from the Taverna - they are in Cambridgeshire and they sent me a pic from their home - everything outside is under about 3feet of water and more rain forecast for tonight :-( :-( Still the house is dry at the moment.

Only 3 feet? Hmm , they must live on a hill then...

It's given snow here. At least 1mm so that'll be the country at a standstill again then. At least they can't shut the schools this time. It's half term!

OK, it is NOT Easter, but yesterday WAS a Sunday and we took some friends who are out on holiday for a little drive around some of the AKAMAS peninsular. Thought I would post up a few pics ..... of course you lot in Blighty won't be impressed! No mud in sight and just like you, blue skies! :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Anyway here goes:-

1. We drove from Paphos, passing on our way Polis and Latchi. Past Baths of Aphrodite and along the W coast on a dusty and rough track. We detoured to quite a few little beaches but lot's of local families were camping on the beach for the w/e. We ended up driving parallel to the sea and saw 3 tourist boats (glass bottom) out of Latchi Harbour sailing along side by side. They were heading for the famous/popular "Blue Lagoon". We all arrived together, there was already about 20 boats in the lagoon - I have never seen it so full!

Here is a link to a short video of the whole lagoon:- https://www.dropbox.com/s/60llxyfsba23biu/2018-07-01 11.15.04.mp4?dl=0

2. Joyce and I standing by "BFT" - who is supposed to be going in for a respray of the roof and rear bumper tomorrow all being well - THE LC - NOT JOYCE!!

IMG_1167.jpg

3. Similar shot, but with our friends.

BFT-22_JUL18.jpg

4. We then drove over the ridge to "LARA BAY" on the SW coast. This bay is a favourite place to watch the turtles hatch (under supervision) in this image you can see the white metal cages protecting the nest from beach lovers.

BFT-24-_JUL18.jpg

5. Lastly, we went to VIKLARI or "The Last Castle" as it is known. Beautiful setting just inland from the coast. The site is elevated and completely covered in grape vines for shade. The tables are slabs of sandstone. The menu is very simple BBQ Chicken - 2 pieces - BBQ pork - 2 pieces or mixed one chicken and one pork, all served with chunky chips bread and salad. That's yer lot! And it is SOO good. Here is Joyce and are our friend, sorry I did not take more photos.

BFT-25-_JUL18.jpg

Until next time..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OK, it is NOT Easter, but yesterday WAS a Sunday and we took some friends who are out on holiday for a little drive around some of the AKAMAS peninsular. Thought I would post up a few pics ..... of course you lot in Blighty won't be impressed! No mud in sight and just like you, blue skies! :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

1. We drove from Paphos, passing on our way Polis and Latchi. Past Baths of Aphrodite and along the W coast on a dusty and rough track. We detoured to quite a few little beaches but lot's of local families were camping on the beach for the w/e. We ended up driving parallel to the sea and saw 3 tourist boats (glass bottom) out of Latchi Harbour sailing along side by side. They were heading for the famous/popular "Blue Lagoon". We all arrived together, there was already about 20 boats in the lagoon - I have never seen it so full!

Here is a link to a short video of the whole lagoon:- https://www.dropbox.com/s/60llxyfsba23biu/2018-07-01 11.15.04.mp4?dl=0

2. Joyce and I standing by "BFT" - who is supposed to be going in for a respray of the roof and rear bumper tomorrow all being well - THE LC - NOT JOYCE!!

View attachment 146068

View attachment 146069

4. We then drove over the ridge to "LARA BAY" on the SW coast. This bay is a favourite place to watch the turtles hatch (under supervision) in this image you can see the white metal cages protecting the nest from beach lovers.

View attachment 146070

5. Lastly, we went to VIKLARI or "The Last Castle" as it is known. Beautiful setting just inland from the coast. The site is elevated and completely covered in grape vines for shade. The tables are slabs of sandstone. The menu is very simple BBQ Chicken - 2 pieces - BBQ pork - 2 pieces or mixed one chicken and one pork, all served with chunky chips bread and salad. That's yer lot! And it is SOO good. Here is Joyce and are our friend, sorry I did not take more photos.

View attachment 146071

Until next time..
Great pics Geoff thats good old Cyprus for ya no rust proofing needed , An off roaders paradise , and by the way I have noticed 90/95 series are by far the most popular offroaders in Cyprus , they are every where you look in Larnaca where I am, pickup trucks are only more popular because of there cheap road tax .

Cheers Tony. So what made the 90/95 so popular in Cy - I bet tourism and house sales rocketed around then so locals could afford them! Don't see so many of the latest model around yet!!

View attachment 146068

View attachment 146069

View attachment 146070

View attachment 146071

Until next time..
If ya BTF is left in the sun all day and not under cover keep it waxed every few months to protect it from the sun burning the lacquer on the top panels again , after having painted .

Hi Tony - yes I think previous owners made exactly that mistake. BFT is kept in a garage and I most certaily will keep it well waxed as well.

Thanks for the advice mate.

Cheers Tony. So what made the 90/95 so popular in Cy - I bet tourism and house sales rocketed around then so locals could afford them! Don't see so many of the latest model around yet!!
The Land cruisers are world renowned for there reliability it was a choice between land rover disco, mitsi pajaro , and 90/95 the pajaro is also popular but Lc90/95 have the edge with the legendary status the landcruiser name has, 80/100 Lc were very expensive to buy cost more in Cyprus than in UK and big road tax . hence only the very rich bought them , Land rover discos are well known for being unreliable the heat just kills them , also they are not as good looking as 90/95s .

When the Lc120 came along the price skyrocketed , I remember in around 2006 the top of the range Lc 120 was 110k euros I dont know if it was when the government put what they call lux tax on cars with bigger engines than 2 litres in the early 2000s .

Cyprus certainly has a lot to offer you guys, no wonder the quest to keep your rust-free Cruisers in top shape.

I’m on a local beach holiday right now so blue skies are not uncommon and the UK is having a rare “good” summer, so goodbye rain to all, for the moment.

Thanks for posting these great photos!

:clap::clap::clap:

So, another day out!! It was great seeing Dervis and Tony 111 during the week. I had be busy detailing my J95 as shown in the thread:- https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/bad-back-now.150483/

So it is now Friday 27th of July and quite a nice day here in Cyprus, possibly a degree or two cooler than some places in the UK (heatwave in UK) but more humid. So Joyce and I decided to drive in to the hills to escape the worst of the humidity.

1. 1100 hours - a relatively clean truck!

BFT-27.07.2018_1_of_38.jpg

2. A nice view along the way.

BFT-27.07.2018_2_of_38.jpg

3. Lunch break - the chef hard at work!

BFT-27.07.2018_5_of_38.jpg

4. Scoff time - please note the water!!

BFT-27.07.2018_7_of_38.jpg

5. Various shots of Mylikouri Village - a pretty typical Cyprus mountain village.

BFT-27.07.2018_8_of_38.jpg

BFT-27.07.2018_11_of_38.jpg

BFT-27.07.2018_12_of_38.jpg

BFT-27.07.2018_13_of_38.jpg

6. Going down..

BFT-27.07.2018_16_of_38.jpg

7. Old camel trading route - "The Venetian Bridge"

BFT-27.07.2018_18_of_38.jpg

8.Posing above the bridge. (sorry! :) )

BFT-27.07.2018_19_of_38.jpg

9. We still have water!

BFT-27.07.2018_21_of_38.jpg

10. Did you happen to notice I have a Prado????

BFT-27.07.2018_22_of_38.jpg

11. Good job the previous owner fitted a snorkel!
BFT-27.07.2018_24_of_38.jpg

12. Time for a nice cuppa in the shade.

BFT-27.07.2018_31_of_38.jpg

13. Poser!

BFT-27.07.2018_32_of_38.jpg

14. Abondoned Turkish village.

BFT-27.07.2018_34_of_38.jpg

15. Ditto - must have been nice!

BFT-27.07.2018_35_of_38.jpg

16. View from the village of Koilinea acroos to the Troodos Mountains - you can just make out the white raydome.

BFT-27.07.2018_37_of_38.jpg

That is all for now folks! Hope you enjoyed the pics.

Last edited:
So, another day out!! It was great seeing Dervis and Tony 111 during the week. I had be busy detailing my J95 as shown in the thread:- https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/bad-back-now.150483/

So it is now Friday 27th of July and quite a nice day here in Cyprus, possibly a degree or two cooler than some places in the UK (heatwave in UK) but more humid. So Joyce and I decided to drive in to the hills to escape the worst of the humidity.

View attachment 147655

View attachment 147656

View attachment 147657

View attachment 147658

5. Various shots of Mylikouri Village - a pretty typical Cyprus mountain village.

View attachment 147659
View attachment 147660
View attachment 147661
View attachment 147662

6. Going down..

View attachment 147663

View attachment 147664

View attachment 147665

9. We still have water!

View attachment 147666

View attachment 147667

View attachment 147668

View attachment 147669

13. Poser!

View attachment 147670

View attachment 147671

View attachment 147672

16. View from the village of Koilinea acroos to the Troodos Mountains - you can just make out the white raydome.

View attachment 147673

View attachment 147655

View attachment 147656

View attachment 147657

View attachment 147658

View attachment 147659
View attachment 147660
View attachment 147661
View attachment 147662

6. Going down..

View attachment 147663

View attachment 147664

View attachment 147665

9. We still have water!

View attachment 147666

View attachment 147667

View attachment 147668

View attachment 147669

13. Poser!

View attachment 147670

View attachment 147671

View attachment 147672

View attachment 147673

Hi Geoff
Great pics looks like you had a great drive out , good wash now needed (for car) from mirror like finish when I last saw it on wednesday , its now sooo dusty , just like you said it would get .
Kind Regards
Tony

Thanks Tony, won't be washing it yet, have a few short off road trips planned.

Great pictures there Geoff ....gleaming green screams out.........wonderful nature.

Thanks

Lovely photos, Cyprus looks quite a place for days out in the truck... :thumbup:

Thanks for posting ...

OK folks! Today's drive pics are here.

The trip was about 100km all told. We started in Paphos, drove through the "Venus Rock" golf village (AKA Aphrodite Hills as it used to be known) then up on to the hills near "Randi Forest" (that's what is says on the map!) Then, up through a lovely gorge where in the winter and spring months a river flows crisscrossing the valley/gorge floor. Is say lovely, it was five years ago when I drove it in the Suzuki Samurai a few times, I have also walked it, but this year it is pretty overgrown in places and I am dreading washing the dust off to see what "rashes" the greenery have inflicted on my recently buffed paintwork. I know it's my own fault, but I like clean cars and off roading - I know the two are not a good mix, but I just can't help it!

1. Leaving "Randi Forest".

BFT-06.08.2018_1_of_18.jpg

2 & 3. Approaching the gorge with wind turbines in the BG.

BFT-06.08.2018_2_of_18.jpg

BFT-06.08.2018_3_of_18.jpg

4. Just starting to get in the vegetation"

BFT-06.08.2018_(4_of_18).jpg

5. Deeper in to the gorge now - no more pics because I could not open the door!

BFT-06.08.2018_(5_of_18).jpg

6. The ruins of Ayios Yeoryios.

BFT-06.08.2018_(6_of_18).jpg

7. The ruins from across the valley as we climb out of the valley.

BFT-06.08.2018_(7_of_18).jpg

8. We leave the Alektora area now, crossing the main road in Pissouri and head up in to the hills of Melanda above Pissouri Bay. As usual, it is a LOT steeper than it looks.

BFT-06.08.2018_(8_of_18).jpg

9-12 Dropping down to the beaches West of Avdimou Bay.

BFT-06.08.2018_9_of_18.jpg

BFT-06.08.2018_(10_of_18).jpg

BFT-06.08.2018_(11_of_18).jpg

BFT-06.08.2018_(12_of_18).jpg

13. One half of Avdimou Bay from the headland looking West at the Melandria Restaurant.

BFT-06.08.2018_(13_of_18).jpg

14 & 15 Other end of the bay now (looking East) two restaurants here - very nice they are too!

BFT-06.08.2018_(14_of_18).jpg

BFT-06.08.2018_(15_of_18).jpg

16, 17 & 18 After Joyce and I shared a cold beer here, we called it a day and headed home.... but, we went via the very steep and rocky track to a pergola built on the hills above the main coast road and overlooking the famous "Aphrodites Rock" the fabled birthplace of the Goddess Aphrodite.

BFT-06.08.2018_(16_of_18).jpg

BFT-06.08.2018_17_of_18.jpg

BFT-06.08.2018_18_of_18.jpg

Chopping some trees tomorrow and if I have the energy when I get home I will wash BFT and see what the paintwork looks like!

Bye for now folks.

Last edited:
Back