Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

EBay cashback. Is it another eBay scam.

Raj

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Hi all EBay seniors.
I finally placed my first order on eBay with my card. :) it’s Toyota OEM wind deflectors for 124£ After placing order, there was a message that I ll get 16.5£ cashback. When I clicked, it took me to other site asking all my card details. I didn’t enter my details there but wanted to check with you all if this cashback is even a real thing.

Got to say @Raj I've been using eBay for years and never come across this. I'd be weary of any additional links and question why a seller doesn't just sell the item at the cheaper price. It will probably try and tempt you into buying something else but best not to take any chances.

Thank you very much Mick. I better just stick to my line on ebay. I am very old school when it comes to shopping. I always prefer going to shop and see whom I am buying from. I started regular online shopping only after buying Landcruiser as I never needed somany things. :)

Get your self a Paypal account set up Raj, When buying off ebay.... Its safe enough mate.. Many sellers offer certain percentage discounts... But the money Back offer, I would avoid that one...

Almost certainly a scam, but where did you order the original thing from? Are you being scammed out of the 124 as well?

Higgy I ve to set up Paypal, this is another thing I always avoided :).
KB its from Toyota official shop on eBay. Atleast that’s what it says. There are many other ones for 30£ n so but they are not original Toyota ones so got this one.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Agree Karl, have used them before - no problems.
As Mick says though, never experienced that message with 100s of ebay transactions.

This is exact part. I avoided buying this at first as it had screws n it seemed too invasive to screw something to car but I think in one of our forum meets someone said it’s fine no damage ll happen with those screws
1645382455529.png

Hello Raj - I have bought ~700 items on eBay without any significant issues. I have seen that £16.50 cashback message several times, independent of the seller - it’s always been £16.50 though, which is odd. I’ve never clicked it, assuming it to be scam. Occasionally, the seller will offer you a discount but always before the sale not as cashback afterwards. It’s often worth adding an item to your ‘Watchlist’ and waiting a few days. Quite often, the seller offers you a discount within a day or two. Might only be 5% but I have seen up to 40%. I agree with Higgy - use PayPal. I haven’t had an issue as a buyer (but I did have some issues as a seller).
Careful though - lots of temptation on eBay!!

Some of these cashback things are basically trying to get you to sign up to a subscription thing, the cost of which is always more than the money back. Might have been one of those.

Reactions: Raj
Yes they asked all details and then asked for password. That saved me as I am fed up of entering password on everything and just closed it. :)

This is exact part. I avoided buying this at first as it had screws n it seemed too invasive to screw something to car but I think in one of our forum meets someone said it’s fine no damage ll happen with those screws

The (genuine) ones I put on the 120 are self adhesive, and then there are a couple of brackets that slot into the glass channel where the window goes up, then a screw between the bracket and the deflector. So you can always take them off again if you want, its not like you're drilling and screwing into the metal anywhere.

I really like them, I think they were a good buy.

You only really need paypal if you are selling. EBay offer a protection scheme for your purchases which heavily favours the buyer. Use your CC for added protection.

Have made thousands of transactions on ebay and not once seen a cash back offer.

I've only ever had puny percentage discount offers on stuff in my watch list.
I had one such offer on something I had already ordered and paid for !
I've never seen a cash back offer either, in years and years of buying on ebay.
EBay years ago, used to heavily favour the seller and changed it for the buyer, now sellers are complaining about the system. Pi55takers on both sides.

The (genuine) ones I put on the 120 are self adhesive,
I received them last week. They are same ones you mentioned, adhesive ones with screw slots. The instructions said to fit them at 15degrees or above. I might have to wait till April for 15degrees

Back